Gas from the Wind

jmackro

Reaction score
...but the article also said:
Not surprising, however, is that this synthetic gasoline remains more expensive than the traditional fossil fuel. The complicated chemistry, emissions-free electricity, and shipping — also to be carbon-reduced, claims Steiner — is going to be more difficult to expand to the economies of scale that make production of gas from crude oil so very, very cost effective.

Oh, minor detail!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ten bucks a gallon, without taxes.

As long as China and India want IC cars (and meat, and fridges, and all the things we enjoy), and the world market will supply them with oil, then fossil fuels and global warming is an un-solveable problem.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you look at the fuel economy trends, it won’t be that long before $10/gal synthetic gas yields almost the same cost per mile as today’s naturally produced gasoline. The delta can be made up with higher taxes on fossil fuels (I’m fiscally conservative, but ecologically progressive).

My X5 does 26.5 mpg on the freeway. My previous midsize German SUV only got 21. The X5 after mine gets 30mpg. That’s a 50% improvement in only 12 years.

John

jmackro

Reaction score
If you look at the fuel economy trends, it won’t be that long before $10/gal synthetic gas yields almost the same cost per mile as today’s naturally produced gasoline. The delta can be made up with higher taxes on fossil fuels

What would lead you to believe that synthetic gasoline wouldn't be taxed as well? Do you believe the State would just walk away from that revenue for the sake of the environment?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
What would lead you to believe that synthetic gasoline wouldn't be taxed as well? Do you believe the State would just walk away from that revenue for the sake of the environment?
You are right, but I would hope it’s taxed less than fossil fuels. I’m being naive, right?

so it may never be as cheap as oil based gas. I still think that over time the cost penalty for alternative automotive power storage will come down and become at best a minor concern.

John