gas tank boil out

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Years ago I had my gas tank lined and repaired at a gas tank shop. . They made a small weld in Brass along a seam that had started to leak.While it looks sound to me, I have at the back of my mind thought new is better and that it isn't up to TUV standards! How cheap is cheap? IS there a source other than WN or BMW?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Think Don was referring to the boil out. Sadly, price of new tanks has gone like all other car parts, crazy.

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ive heard of places charging $400 for this service so price seems fair. For future reference, a couple gallons of muriatic acid, diluted with lots of water to fill the tank, 30 minutes to an hour, and youll go from this to this.
Just did this on my E30 tank yesterday, had good results with E12 tanks in past too.
Neutralize it with baking soda after, then swish around gas or alcohol, compressed air and it’s done. ~$40-$70 in materials.

But $285 to avoid messing around with nasty chemicals sounds pretty fair.
IMG_7197.jpeg
IMG_7198.jpeg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Think Don was referring to the boil out. Sadly, price of new tanks has gone like all other car parts, crazy.
Oh...my reading comprehension skills seem very low this week!!! Thanks

shanon

Reaction score
+1 Fair/cheap

Had this process done a cple of times. First during original build then again years later when tossed stones put a pin hole in the tank causing it to weep (be careful doin big, long, fun burn-outs/fishtails on dirt roads).

The question I'd ask today is trying to find a shop that still offers this service, they seem to be disappearing or becoming more rare.....

Highly suggest sharing shops that still offer the service.

HTH
-s

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If in Canada, this is the shop that did mine.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Labor intensive but otherwise easy is to pull your tank and get the POR 15 system and then be done with it. You almost have no choice up here in the north east. Every radiator shop I know has disappeared.

skk

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of my first assignments in undergraduate chemistry was to demonstrate with math how rinsing a piece of glassware with a solvent by dividing the solvent into 3 portions and doing 3 successive rinses was so much more effective than using the entire volume in 1 rinse. This is one of many lessons that has stayed with me my whole life. I am a nerd.

In reference to this task of denaturing corrosion in a fuel tank, one could attack it with a quart or less of muriatic acid, swishing around, sealing, repeating, rinsing/filtering, reusing, etc until satisfied.
Time consuming, but possibly more effective than brute force and far minimizing material and waste disposal. Heating or boiling the acid is dangerous and not necessary.

For a first pass, I would try the common biodegradable acid: vinegar. If you make progress, stay
with vinegar. Keep it simple.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
For motorcycle gas tanks, I have used both Evaporust and Oxalic acid. (The acid was much cheaper) Both worked very well. You get flash rust about as fast as it takes to rinse them. For the bikes, I would rinse with hot water and then dump a litre of acetone in the tank.

Marc-M

Reaction score
Not sure about in the USA, but in the UK, we now have ethanol in highish concentrations in our fuel and I’m told that it could cause rusting in the tank – so I always now use an epoxy type paint liner ( like por etc ect) to help prevent the thing going rusty on the inside…

So it may be worth looking into if its nice and clean….

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've had great results with the POR fuel tank sealer for bike tanks which I will be using on mine , with all the chemicals needed it's definitely harder to get a decent shop to do these kinds of things nowadays

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok, ready with my vinegar, but which?

Attachments

• vinegar - 1.jpeg
    vinegar - 1.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 13

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, Evaporust works well but I only use it on small things, take it out, rinse, dry and hit it with paint or clear coat asap, flash rust is amazingly quick after use, like within 1/2 hour.

When I bought my E9 to restore, I pulled the tank and it looked fine but did the POR-15 system and interestingly, found tiny beads of the paint on the outside of the tank................pinholes that I never saw. Was glad I did it.