gaskets that go around the face of the instruments?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can someone suggest a source or substitute for the gaskets that go around the face of the instruments?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i would make them with an old fashion approach - a drafting compass with the lead replaced with an x-acto blade. cut the outer circle of the gasket, then cut the inner circle. use light pressure, making more circular strokes

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ten years or more ago when I had the instruments rebuilt I think mine fell apart and I never replaced them, no issues since.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK thanks, mine are missing, from what I have read there were gaskets in there, I think it would be a good idea
What were the original ones like?
It seems like a soft gasket that creates a force between the flat plate on the back of the wood and the instrument and takes some force of the sharp edge of the bezel

Honolulu

Reaction score
I have my cluster apart and the speedo "gasket" stuck partly on, partly off. I reproduced it in card stock (like the back of a notebook) using a compass to trace a pair of concentric circles, then scissors. didn't have a compass that would carry an xacto blade.

The "gasket" keeps the chromed ring from contacting the conical metal part with black wrinkle or spatter finish. If there's no relative movement between the two it might not be needed, but cars vibrate, and who knows how you can get another of the chromey rings that hold the face to the instrument so probably best to have them. Thickness is not really an issue, so long as they separate the cone and the chromey bit on the gage.