Gauges out, Speedo repaired

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As a follow-up, my odometer stopped working owing to a worn gear:

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

I received and installed the gear from Odometer Gears.
Odometer Gear.jpg

The old gear must be cut off off the worm gear shaft, as the shaft has a cross-hatched cut for the gear to bind on. I forgot to take a photo of the shaft, but I'm pretty sure you won't pry it off!
Easy-peasy, odometer (and speedometer) working perfectly. Just follow the repair video from FunkyLaneO on the FAQ:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
As a follow-up, my odometer stopped working owing to a worn gear:

View attachment 71822
View attachment 71823

I received and installed the gear from Odometer Gears.
View attachment 71824
The old gear must be cut off off the worm gear shaft, as the shaft has a cross-hatched cut for the gear to bind on. I forgot to take a photo of the shaft, but I'm pretty sure you won't pry it off!
Easy-peasy, odometer (and speedometer) working perfectly. Just follow the repair video from FunkyLaneO on the FAQ:

excellent work and write up

do you remember the reference of the gear that you bought there ?
regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great DIY with several important information.

I'm passing another speedo repair topic to check the nicest way to unfold and (what bothers me much more) fold the chrome ring keeping the glass and speedo mechanism intact.

Does anyone know what method is used by factory or good repair shops to ufold and later on to fold the ring? I can expect press with specific ring shape but maybe there is also other way?

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Krzysztof,
My tools of choice:
IMG_3225.JPG

The hooked awl will slip under the lip better than a screwdriver without biting into the body of the gauge. It lifts the edge smoothly without creating dents as a screwdriver will. You don't have to bend the chrome ring lip a full 90 degrees to slip it off. Once you start slipping the awl around the edge, several orbits around slipping more of the awl under the ring will raise the ring edge up enough that you can slip the ring off. It works the same in reverse installing the ring.
The bamboo chopstick is hard enough to push the ring lip back down without scratching it.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've seen your thread Willem so I recognizing the picture. Great DIY by the way! :)

This is the simplest method for opening and probably the only one I can think of. I used it some time ago for old MB and VDO gauges.

You are right, to slip the ring it can be only loosened, not fully unbent, which would made a pain during folding.

I'm looking for nice folding method which would not leave the marks on the ring. Looking on the mounting tab close to, full ring tool will not rather work.
I have seen on YT a guy who was using a lathe and roller but in the end effect was not nice for me.