General Tech questions

Robertsocal

Reaction score
Newbie looking for some info on the basics. 1970 2800cs stock

1. What octane gas do these like? (not the 106 mix I put in the hotrods im sure).

2. 4speed manual tranny oil, I read people are mixing oils for these? Hmmm... Advice?

3. Handling with the stock tire size, is it decent? I have 225/50/16 now and it handles well.

4. Electric fan with or without removing clutch fan. anyone doing this?

5. Finding and installing AC on an original NO AC car.. Are the parts a nightmare (why do I even ask), and will it destroy stock value on these?

6. And can anyone explain this two position or stage radio in this? Blaupunkt style volume seems to have a low setting, and then off in the middle, and then a high setting that is just odd, am I missing something?

Thanks for any help

Rob

Attachments

• BMW 291.jpg
    BMW 291.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 153
  • BMW 298.jpg
    BMW 298.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 142

Tierfreund

Reaction score
1. Depends on wether it´s an Eur spec or US spec motor. Euro spec: 99 Octane, US Spec, 91

2. Use Redline MTL and nothing else. Best stuff there is for this kind of box

3. 195/70R14 is fine, handles very well. Too much tire and grip ruins the balance of the chassis. Whatcha tryin to do - win races?

4. Fohgeddabout it unless you have auto box, A/C and live in Florida. Fix the colling system instead. Make sure everything in it is really up to snatch and you´ll be fine.

5. -

6. Broken. Not by design. Worn tracks.

BTW: If your car has no more than 2 doors (as it seems as per the pictures): You´ve got an E9, not an E3 (higher number, higher price, less doors - logical ain´t it?) - so you´ve posted in the wrong section...

nashvillecat

Reaction score
Newbie looking for some info on the basics. 1970 2800cs stock

1. What octane gas do these like? (not the 106 mix I put in the hotrods im sure).

2. 4speed manual tranny oil, I read people are mixing oils for these? Hmmm... Advice?

3. Handling with the stock tire size, is it decent? I have 225/50/16 now and it handles well.

4. Electric fan with or without removing clutch fan. anyone doing this?

5. Finding and installing AC on an original NO AC car.. Are the parts a nightmare (why do I even ask), and will it destroy stock value on these?

6. And can anyone explain this two position or stage radio in this? Blaupunkt style volume seems to have a low setting, and then off in the middle, and then a high setting that is just odd, am I missing something?

Thanks for any help

Rob

Hard to disagree with advice already offered. As a base of knowledge you might consider leafing through the factory recommendations found in the manual available on this site. However, unless you know your car's mechanical pedigree, some of the advice is subject to changes that may have been made without your knowledge.

Octane numbers are a ballpark figure. Just like hot rods, tinkering with compression ratios, ignition and valve timing can often change your engine's needs.

Nothing wrong with Redline fluids. It is not a fix for severely worn bearings, gears and/or synchronizers. Avoid extreme pressure lubricants (GL5) in favor or yellow metal safe (GL4) offerings.

Not quite sure about your handling question. Nowadays, sixteen inch rubber availability trumps the fourteen inch variety. Ride was probably more supple with taller sidewall rubber. I can't remember what mine rode like on fourteen inchers. You might have interference issues with 225 mm width front tires. My last set of Michelin XWXs were hard to knock for traction but I do recall they had a treadwear rating of "50" making me wonder if the rubber was more inclined to remain on the pavement rather than the rim, similar to a roll of scotch tape.

Equally not sure why you mention electric fan unless you are a belt and suspenders man, or you definitely expect to run air conditioning. To the best of my knowledge, all of the air conditioned BMWs employed an electric fan forward of the condenser and radiator - in addition to the standard belt driven fan. Upgrading to a fluid clutch or renewing the original friction fan clutch and is probably a good idea. IMHO, a clean and unobstructed radiator has enough surface area to handle most cooling needs. Pulling a mobile home may require a second radiator. Your mileage may vary with something that may have a few decades under its proverbial belt.

I offer no opinion regarding the affect of air conditioning on value. If done properly, it is probably an asset. I have seen an exemplar using the basic system from what I think was a Mercedes. Existing non-ac ductwork was used with two under-dash ducts. Looked tidy but its effectiveness is unknown. I have also seen at least one impressive custom center console dash trimmed in the same wood veneer as the dash and doors. With imagination and ducats anything is possible and the result may be very appealing.

I have even less of an opinion regarding radios except for what may be cosmetically appealing. A friend had a Bavaria with two Blaupunkts tossed in the trunk and a Pioneer in the dash. This was explained to me as a dealer "accommodation" after the two high-end units proved less-than-satisfactory.

21570VR15MICHELIN.jpg

$_57.JPG

old_car_radios.jpg

Robertsocal

Reaction score
OOPs I did post in the wrong one.

i was wondering about a electric fan to loose the load on the engine and help with the overheating these seem to be plagued with from what I have read. I do live in so california desert area.

I have read manufacturers recommendations, just wondering how the guys living with these cars are doing it.
The car cam with these big tires, way to wide for the car.

Thanks for the info
Rob