Getting window down?

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
My passenger side window motor is shot and I have a replacement ready for installation.

Apparently, the first replacement step is to lower the window, which is my first road block.

I do NOT have the white plastic "window tool" (rack or pinion) nor do I have access holes in my interior door panels.

The panel itself is off anyway, but I'm not sure exactly which gear needs to be rotated to lower the window.

I've tried all 3 that I could access with my fingers, but none of them could be rotated with my fingers.

Which gear is the one that should be turned?
Will the use of a chisel or vice grips make this any quicker?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
you should touch the motor box until you reach the end that is connecting to the gearbox
just before reaching the gearbox you should touch a rubber cylinder that ends in a plastic gear, that is the one to operate

warning, you will turn it with apparently no effect in the window, it is like only one mm per turn, so dont be desperate ...

you can read this post, it is about rear windows, but,...

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11320

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
The off-white, serrated nylon knob at the end of the sardine can motor should be turned by hand. It might take some force to get it to rotate initially. In addition to dry, caked up grease causing sticking, sometimes the rubber limit stop bumpers will fall off, causing the windows to jam more readily on full close or open. Once you get it moving, it should get easier to turn. It's a good workout for your fingers.

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, THAAAT Gear!!

Thanks. That makes sense.

I was assuming the gear in question was part of the whole window track assembly (and didn't even consider the motor gear).

That explains how the mysterious window tool would function as well.

Thanks again (I feel so stupid right now...)