Girl From Ipanema

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vocalist Astrud Gilberto recently passed. Her most famous song, "The Girl From Ipanema", was a landmark hit, in my books, and I think many others. Her voice was so calm and cool, the lyrics so simple, but what really struck me was the saxophone of Stan Getz. A huge part of the success of that hit song. This helped introduce me to much more jazz in 1964 and since. Here is a video of the 1964 performance:

Vocalist Astrud Gilberto recently passed. Her most famous song, "The Girl From Ipanema", was a landmark hit, in my books, and I think many others. Her voice was so calm and cool, the lyrics so simple, but what really struck me was the saxophone of Stan Getz. A huge part of the success of that hit song. This helped introduce me to much more jazz in 1964 and since. Here is a video of the 1964 performance:

I have a hard time thinking of any song that more completely captures a scene, it's vibe, or the cool, far-way longing that, because the song's protagonist is a hep cat, can only be let on to so much. Her vocals were a huge part of that effect.

I know that for many this song has become cliched; the apotheosis of elevator music as it was so brilliantly used in the Blues Brothers movie. But that's years after the fact. Much like Monet's paintings that once utterly scandalized the art world but now serve as shower curtains and umbrellas, this song's brilliance has been scrubbed off through years of commodification.

That's okay though - just listen carefully and you'll discover that a quiet, slow burn is just as riveting as a roaring, raging inferno. Thank you for the lesson, Astrud. Rest in peace.

Great song, and perhaps better her performance of "Manha de Carnaval", of Black Orpheus movie fame:

Great song, and perhaps better her performance of "Manha de Carnaval", of Black Orpheus movie fame:
Such a great movie and soundtrack. Did you see the (somewhat) recent remake? They made it, and the music, very contemporary. This could of course be a good or bad thing depending on your particular tastes in music.

Such a great movie and soundtrack. Did you see the (somewhat) recent remake? They made it, and the music, very contemporary. This could of course be a good or bad thing depending on your particular tastes in music.
Yes, that movie is special. I have not seen the remake, I will now.

Totally agree a great singer and song, and Getz really blows. Check this out if you get chance: Stan Getz The Bossa Nova Years on Verve found it on ebay new for like 13 bucks for a 4 CD set. Getz, Astrud, her then husband Joao, a few other brasilian greats and an orchestra. Its fantastic

Attachments

• 20230608_210511.jpg
    20230608_210511.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 50
I have a hard time thinking of any song that more completely captures a scene, it's vibe, or the cool, far-way longing that, because the song's protagonist is a hep cat, can only be let on to so much. Her vocals were a huge part of that effect.

I know that for many this song has become cliched; the apotheosis of elevator music as it was so brilliantly used in the Blues Brothers movie. But that's years after the fact. Much like Monet's paintings that once utterly scandalized the art world but now serve as shower curtains and umbrellas, this song's brilliance has been scrubbed off through years of commodification.

That's okay though - just listen carefully and you'll discover that a quiet, slow burn is just as riveting as a roaring, raging inferno. Thank you for the lesson, Astrud. Rest in peace.
Totally agree, as I take a sip of my coffee from my Mona Lisa coffee mug. ;)

Totally agree a great singer and song, and Getz really blows. Check this out if you get chance: Stan Getz The Bossa Nova Years on Verve found it on ebay new for like 13 bucks for a 4 CD set. Getz, Astrud, her then husband Joao, a few other brasilian greats and an orchestra. Its fantastic
As a person who never stopped buying LP records (vinyls as the kids call them these days), I have to say I really appreciate the dramatic drop in CD prices.

thank you for calling me KID ! ;-)
is vynil a derogative term ?
De nada!

Young people today sometimes refer to record albums as "vinyls," which sounds weird to people who grew up with them. In the US we used many terms for them, and some of the most common were LP (for Long Play), album, and record. The thing that makes "vinyl" strange is that it describes the material the record is made out of. So "vinyl" isn't derogatory, just the usage is strange to ears that are a bit older.

You could argue that we called cassettes "tapes," and that this described the material or medium, but I think "tape" is too vague. Tape just means something thin and flat that's rolled on a spool. If they were called "magnetic tapes," that would be closer to calling records "vinyls." But they weren't - they were just tapes.

I think the term "vinyl" for records emerged after the compact disc took over the world in the mid 80's in order to distinguish between if the "record" or "album" we were listening to was either an LP or a CD. Confused yet?

De nada!

Young people today sometimes refer to record albums as "vinyls," which sounds weird to people who grew up with them. In the US we used many terms for them, and some of the most common were LP (for Long Play), album, and record. The thing that makes "vinyl" strange is that it describes the material the record is made out of. So "vinyl" isn't derogatory, just the usage is strange to ears that are a bit older.

You could argue that we called cassettes "tapes," and that this described the material or medium, but I think "tape" is too vague. Tape just means something thin and flat that's rolled on a spool. If they were called "magnetic tapes," that would be closer to calling records "vinyls." But they weren't - they were just tapes.

for us here it has been and it is “disco”, for disk,
CD has been always like that so no confusion possible
vinyl sounds like a better thing, sort of a posh term for a disco, it is vinilo here,

i was just curious to learn what you mentioned

Great song and durning the olympics they did a piece on the actual girl that was the inspiration for the song.
Timeless song, Timeless like our E9's
Ha! My wife met a lady that claimed she was the inspiration for the song, an elegant lady for sure, but American...
I guess these claims are easy to make, and truth increasingly hard to determine after the emergence of generative AI...

Back