glove box light switch, problem solved

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
some time ago i asked about your actual position of the glove-box-light switch

the fact was that my car came without that function. the light was in the right place, but the switch was in the trunk together with some other spare parts

bmw art car showed me the factory solution: (thanks again)
EasterApril42010007.jpg

but when i went to my car to reproduce it, i found that some part of the "wall" ,in which i pretend to fix the support for the switch, was missing: (i assume that it has something to do with an unusual A/C installation)
090120111699.jpg

090120111702.jpg

in other words, i can not reproduce the factory assembly
so i was thinking a lot about how to install the switch in a secure and reliable way, and... the answer was:

the central lock of the glove box is there, and it has a metallic part that contains it and those walls can hold the switch support, and it is a reliable point to know that the glove box is really closed!

starting: disasemble of the lock: two hex bolts:
090120111692.jpg

see the position of the holes marked:
090120111693.jpg

and the holes prepared and ready for assembly:
090120111694.jpg

fixed:
090120111695.jpg

now after cleaning and new grease to the lock barrel:
090120111698.jpg

see switch tab aligned with lock bumpers:
090120111697.jpg

now only assembly pending,
090120111707.jpg

090120111706.jpg

and test, pressed: no light :
090120111704.jpg

and now release switch: e voila:
090120111703.jpg

090120111705.jpg

it works perfect when i close the glove-box cover !

i´m happy as a kid !

Well done

What a good solution you came up with.
In fact one of my cars has that strange cutout on the right vertical console. I too presume it has to do with some former AC kit. I therefore, like you, don´t have the light functioning.
I will now try to do the same. Thanks.
What is the odd tool, looking like a letter C, next to the screwdrivers? Just curious.
Best,
Peder

What a good solution you came up with.
In fact one of my cars has that strange cutout on the right vertical console. I too presume it has to do with some former AC kit. I therefore, like you, don´t have the light functioning.
I will now try to do the same. Thanks.
What is the odd tool, looking like a letter C, next to the screwdrivers? Just curious.
Best,
Peder

hi peder !

i will be delighted to see that my little idea is useful to someone else, that is wonderful !

just some more detailed advises:

1- before removing anything take a look to the gap between the glove-box cover and the dashboard (when the glove-box is closed), and check if the lock-rubber bumpers are in contact with the glove-box cover (from inside), this will let you know the relative position of the switch to the lock-support
2- unscrew the 2 bolts to remove the lock, but then you will realise that it is impossible to take it out, don´t worry, just push the button through the hole left in the dashboard, and remove it this way (you must remove it with the button pushed)
3- it is no problem to disassemble the lock from the support (take the advantage of this and clean and grease it thoroughly)
4- prepare the holes, and fix it with the rivets or bolts (it is free space enough to install bolts and nuts if you like (although rivets are neater)
5- to introduce the lock-support again you MUST remove the switch, otherwise it will be very difficult to tighten the bolt that is on that side, after doing the bolts you can install the switch again in its final position, (I recommend you to connect the cables to it before installing the switch) (one more detail: you must bend the switch connection spades 45º, otherwise it will not be enough space available for the cables) (take a detailed look to my previous pics and you will see this when all is installed in the car)
bentspades.jpg

6- finally use plastic straps for the adequate routing of the cables, and that is all

remark: the odd tool is only the one for the riveting machine (to change riveting-heads), the “c” shape allows also to close and maintain it closed

thank you for asking !

regards

deQuincey:

Thanks for posting this thread - I liked the photos and detailed description of how you did it. My coupe also lacks a switch for the glove box light, so I would like to follow what you did.

My question is why you mounted the switch that way.

- One of the photos you posted (reproduced below) shows the original position of the switch. Why didn't you keep the switch in that location? Is it better somehow to have it mounted to the glove box latch?

- In the event that the original switch isn't in the trunk, do you know of a source for these switches? I suppose from a BMW parts dealer.

Attachments

• BMW switch.jpg
    BMW switch.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Switches, etc.

Very good write up and documentation.

The switches were used on any number of 60's era cars. Mustang or Camaro suppliers have them in thier catalogs and from the web- thefind.com. Glove box switch, pin switch, momentary switch. BMW did use them, but I haven't found a part number yet.

One alternate might be a mercury tilt switch. They have newer ones, small, all encased in back plastic that could mount on the box ( side or back) with epoxy, hot glue, etc. which would simplify the need for a bracket.

Another possibility is a micro switch for a hatchback, SUV.... X5, etc.

Lastly, the light. Mercedes used the same for those who need to find them. An alternate would be a new type led, much brighter so you can actually see or read something. They even have ones shaped similar made for this application. Some even offer adjustible timed interior light kits.

Good luck...

answers in between your text

ha, ha, ha, i love the confusion created by my lack of a good explanation, just after posting it i realised that the first photo can lead to confusion (as it has happened), but i was too busy to edit the post, sorry

My question is why you mounted the switch that way.

- One of the photos you posted (reproduced below) shows the original position of the switch. Why didn't you keep the switch in that location? Is it better somehow to have it mounted to the glove box latch?
the answer, mr. jmackro, is: because that first pic is showing the original correct position of the switch as it is today in mr.bmw art car coupe ! :-D

yes, i posted his pic to thank him again and to present the difference that exists between his central console wall, and that of mine´s

sorry for the misunderstunding :-?

as you can imagine i mounted the switch in this odd place because it was impossible to do in the conventional way

just by the way, in my humble opinion the original postion is much better, because the pressure that acts against the switch comes from the middle point of the glove-box body, but in my case that was not possible even to consider it

- In the event that the original switch isn't in the trunk, do you know of a source for these switches? I suppose from a BMW parts dealer.

i don´t really know how to find the same switch, my bmw dealer knows nothing about how to find a similar one, but, i bet that in any electronic´s shop you might find a similar functioning switch that can be placed in my "new place", the only question will be to adapt the support plate, in fact i found an equivalent switch from "hella"

also the switches you can find on doors and hood and trunk for the courtesy lights can do with a little work, and those, at least, are available at w&n

i will be very happy if this little idea helps you to recover your glove-box light !

regards

another explanation

as i explain in the second post, please be careful to meassure the relative closing position of the cover to the instrument panel, and the contact to the lock rubber bumpers

then check the switch play, and set the gap between the lock support plate and the switch support plate, in my case see the gap represented between the green lines

carefulgap.jpg

hi peder !

i will be delighted to see that my little idea is useful to someone else, that is wonderful !

just some more detailed advises:

1- before removing anything take a look to the gap between the glove-box cover and the dashboard (when the glove-box is closed), and check if the lock-rubber bumpers are in contact with the glove-box cover (from inside), this will let you know the relative position of the switch to the lock-support
2- unscrew the 2 bolts to remove the lock, but then you will realise that it is impossible to take it out, don´t worry, just push the button through the hole left in the dashboard, and remove it this way (you must remove it with the button pushed)
3- it is no problem to disassemble the lock from the support (take the advantage of this and clean and grease it thoroughly)
4- prepare the holes, and fix it with the rivets or bolts (it is free space enough to install bolts and nuts if you like (although rivets are neater)
5- to introduce the lock-support again you MUST remove the switch, otherwise it will be very difficult to tighten the bolt that is on that side, after doing the bolts you can install the switch again in its final position, (I recommend you to connect the cables to it before installing the switch) (one more detail: you must bend the switch connection spades 45º, otherwise it will not be enough space available for the cables) (take a detailed look to my previous pics and you will see this when all is installed in the car)
bentspades.jpg

6- finally use plastic straps for the adequate routing of the cables, and that is all

remark: the odd tool is only the one for the riveting machine (to change riveting-heads), the “c” shape allows also to close and maintain it closed

thank you for asking !

regards

Fantastic job!!!

What bulb is used for this? I went to the local Zone and the two sizes are either too long or too short

Back