Glovebox rust!

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rust lurks everywhere in these cars, even in the interior soft parts!

My glovebox and hood release door were delaminating: the soft foam section was pulling away from the metal base. Guess why (SHOCK!): the metal was a crumbled, rusty mess!

So I started with the glove box, and separated the interior fiberglass shell from the metal base and foam exterior by drilling out the rivets. What was left is seen in the photo. I then carefully separated the rusty metal base from the foam. The foam and it's exterior finish are in good shape, now I just need to come up with a way to put it all back together. Is my best/only option to fab up a duplicate metal piece and glue the foam back on?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 134

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Max,

Unless you need it within the next 3 months, your BEST option is what I'll send you! Told you that on Saturday! Keep your twist lock and give the rest to someone who really has a terrible one!! - ha.

PS: OOPS - misinterpreted!! Yes, I have the left side piece for access to the hood opener and fuse box.

Last edited:

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary,

You're definitely my solution for the hood release cover, the bigger issue is the glovebox!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, when foam outlasts metal!

The only way to fix what is in that photo is with photoshop.