God I loved that Car!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am being kicked out of my storage garage I use to hide things I don't want to look at. It is about 10 minutes from the house and reasonably priced for Toronto . Winter tires for 4 cars (Change the whole families tires as a Dad duty) My BMW wagon, an 84 Honda VF500 parts bike that is complete but hideous. and boxes of stuff. Old stuff that I was tired of tripping over. Well the remedy was to take a lot to the dump I have been paying to store and retrieve the other stuff back to my crowded city house. Step one was figuring where to put it. For years I have stored car parts under my porch at home. . Don't go under there , as it is old, dark, inhabited, and under me, thus out of sight. Anyway, it has a lot of old Subaru parts, used to have a lot of old Corvair parts.
Day 1 was to clear it of stuff. First thing I found was a dead Black cat. It was very light, I did not look at it much and is now mixed forever with the leaves it came out with. Unsettling.
Step 2 was to borrow a friends old diesel van. Filled it to capacity with my crap from the garage. Unloaded at home, then filled it to almost capacity for my trip to the dump. The steel recycler gave me money for once ($45cdn, so that is a lot of steel)
Spent the last two days sorting out what the hell was in those boxes. Found an unopened letter from 1997 where I was nominated for a Gemini award (Cdn TV) for best sound in a documentary series!
Found some great letters and lots of old photos. They were intact despite a very gross mouse infestation, especially in my video tapes. Took two days to seperate the keepers from the refuse and sort it.
Found the ad for this car I bought in 1993 taped to the back of a cherished water ski photo. I was pretty excited the day I got this, and it was my pride and joy till it was stolen from the underground parking lot of the Sheraton hotel in Montreal. Figured out who stole it but the police did nothing. I think I paid about 2 thousand less than the asking price for the car and when the insurance company offered me book value ....I shut up and took the $23,000. I got the car minus the stickers but with all the race car parts. Rims, spares, six point cage, Sach Group A front struts, OMP seat. It was driven by Jeff Pabst and Richard Spenard (WHo was Villeneuve's driving coach).
Despite being a crashed and repaired endurance racer, it never hiccuped. it had 13,000 race track Kilometers on it and ran perfectly till it was stolen at 60,000. It was one of the very first VR6 Corrados produced (*Serial number 00069) and probably the only one in North America without a sunroof.

What is your favourite from the past?
Moving winter tires into a crawl space under the porch is not something I hope to do forever (twice a year)

Attachments

• IMG_3480.jpeg
    IMG_3480.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Kudos on the cleanup! Come do the same in Cupertino when you free up.
The police did nothing on your car theft? How about the poisoned black cat?

So impressed at your resolve to actually sort, then toss. I still have way more car stuff than I will ever use. And it all has value to me. But in reality, a lot of it just does not. Tough to discard though, but I am getting better at it. Had to clean out a crawl space a few months ago. Whoa, what a find! lots of lost photos, record albums, useless bank statement files, receipts... much detritus. Tried to separate then found I had 3 piles instead on one large mess, and most of the day was shot. Gotta get better at this, like my spouse, who can chuck anything moments into it entering the house. Congrats on that Gemini nomination, quite an accomplishment! ;)

Kudos on the cleanup! Come do the same in Cupertino when you free up.
The police did nothing on your car theft? How about the poisoned black cat?
I went through the security videos of the hotel and saw the booth attendant leave at 4 or so in the morning, then could see the reflections of tail lights in his booth of my car going up the entrance ramp. After two weeks with this info, the montreal police told me the officer in charge was going on vacation and the perp was not returning their phone calls.
When I got the cheque, I decided to invest big time for me in a very low mile 1995 Corrado. These were sales duds till the 87 of them were gone, then they really held their value....till it was stolen in front of my house. It had my Son's Pokemon collection in the back so he was beside himself!
Through internet help, also figured out who stole that one. Went to the guy's house one afternoon and I could see bits of my Beige interior hanging on the wall. Told the Cops and they said they'd need a search warrant! So no Justice there as well.

Since then, Toronto has probably become the car theft capital of ...maybe the World. I believe we had 12,000 cars stolen in this city alone last year. A friend of mine was telling me last week that he got a call from Saudi Arabia from someone who had found his wallet....in the Chevy pickup he had just bought.

I'm pretty sure I put the cat and the leaves in the wrong bins, so might get in trouble for that.

Last edited:
So impressed at your resolve to actually sort, then toss. I still have way more car stuff than I will ever use. And it all has value to me. But in reality, a lot of it just does not. Tough to discard though, but I am getting better at it. Had to clean out a crawl space a few months ago. Whoa, what a find! lots of lost photos, record albums, useless bank statement files, receipts... much detritus. Tried to separate then found I had 3 piles instead on one large mess, and most of the day was shot. Gotta get better at this, like my spouse, who can chuck anything moments into it entering the house. Congrats on that Gemini nomination, quite an accomplishment! ;)
Well, I have a habit of getting things halfway to the dump, or almost loaded on, then manage to push them into a corner. This time I had a 1984 Honda VF500f frame loaded in the van with my scrap steel and somehow it did not get unloaded, but loaded in a boat, then brought to an island, then transfered to a trailer then hidden under the house. Todays job is to put it out of site, till I take it to the dump up here.....one day! If I make my 80's hopefully strong enough to lift it.

Attachments

• IMG_3484.jpeg
    IMG_3484.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3489.jpeg
    IMG_3489.jpeg
    667.8 KB · Views: 37
Nice video. Did the odometer reading actually say 253,000 km? Car looks in excellent condition!
Original mileage but the car was rebuilt.
Among other things, the floor plate with the drive from the Golf MKII Syncro.
A turbo has been added to the VR6 engine. Currently 4x4 - 450 HP.
The owner takes great care of the car.

another one:

Regards.

Lucas.

Back