Golf

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seeing a resurgence in golf here. Maybe those who can't play their usual sports are out on the fairways. I'm have membership at two clubs and we are really struggling financially because the pro shops and the clubhouses are closed. Both the main sources of revenue. Now I don't expect anyone to feel all that sorry about the plight of golf clubs relative to the current situation it but illustrates another flow on sector affected by everything. To an outsider it looks as though everything's okay because people are playing golf but the clubs can't last long without revenue, especially if income threatened members don't renew in July.
So the question in the case of a golf club and also generally is how close can we sail to shut down. This is a crucial question because some industries take a lot of starting again if they stop altogether. It has already happened in the arts where everything has been cancelled including long forward bookings. This has to be all set up again and restarted.

Scary economic and social implications. Though mad hatter that he is I do agree with the Donald about getting things going. But what's the plan?

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Seeing a resurgence in golf here. Maybe those who can't play their usual sports are out on the fairways. I'm have membership at two clubs and we are really struggling financially because the pro shops and the clubhouses are closed. Both the main sources of revenue. Now I don't expect anyone to feel all that sorry about the plight of golf clubs relative to the current situation it but illustrates another flow on sector affected by everything. To an outsider it looks as though everything's okay because people are playing golf but the clubs can't last long without revenue, especially if income threatened members don't renew in July.
So the question in the case of a golf club and also generally is how close can we sail to shut down.

I think it’s interesting to hear about every business & how it’s faring. In the US, private & semi-private (meaning public can play for a high daily fee) golf clubs have been struggling in the last decade. Seems they were opening them by the dozens on a daily basis in the 90s & 00s. After the fall of Tiger & the 2008 crash, we’ve had a number of private clubs, esp those built around swanky suburban neighborhoods or resorts, go belly-up or have to restructure. My friends (now hitting 50) used to all play, now very few of us do. I got my clubs out a couple of weeks ago & was shocked how much dust & how old the last scorecard was. Some of it is kids, but some of it is just no one has 4+ hours & all the practice time it takes to be passable. The popularity of the sport really seems to have taken a hit here.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it’s interesting to hear about every business & how it’s faring. In the US, private & semi-private (meaning public can play for a high daily fee) golf clubs have been struggling in the last decade. Seems they were opening them by the dozens on a daily basis in the 90s & 00s. After the fall of Tiger & the 2008 crash, we’ve had a number of private clubs, esp those built around swanky suburban neighborhoods or resorts, go belly-up or have to restructure. My friends (now hitting 50) used to all play, now very few of us do. I got my clubs out a couple of weeks ago & was shocked how much dust & how old the last scorecard was. Some of it is kids, but some of it is just no one has 4+ hours & all the practice time it takes to be passable. The popularity of the sport really seems to have taken a hit here.
Jay, my dad caddied for Ben Hogan. Loved the game his whole life. I played a couple of times with him but just could not hand in there. My brother Rob, played with him for years, but I found out recently Rob did not like the game but played because my dad liked it. A good friend ran Calloway's Security side. Busted knock off factories from Newark to Beijing. I doubt there has been a bust in years.

I forget who called golf, "A good walk spoiled." F. Scott Fitzgerald commented that he knew America was going to hell when they started calling golf a sport.

It's just not my sport. Now Tennis is another story, a game I can play into my 80's, I hope. Seventy Eight and still playing two hours of singles. Well what passes for singles at my age.
I used to say if I asked to play doubles take me out back of the court and shoot me. Well now every fourth or fifth match is, you guessed it, doubles. I am all against open carry on public courts.

Steve

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I forget who called golf, "A good walk spoiled."

I believe it was Mark Twain who said this. Golf is one of those games that you either love or just don’t care about. I fell in love with it when I was on embassy duty in South Africa. I’ve used the stay at home time to work on my daughter’s game. It’s a great sport to do with your kids and courses are usually friendly price wise to juniors. It’s something we can always do together.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe it was Mark Twain who said this. Golf is one of those games that you either love or just don’t care about. I fell in love with it when I was on embassy duty in South Africa. I’ve used the stay at home time to work on my daughter’s game. It’s a great sport to do with your kids and courses are usually friendly price wise to juniors. It’s something we can always do together.
Walter, you are right, a sport you can do with your children. And it does require concentration, practice and patience. Things we can all work on. And not just in these times.
My sister and brother-in-law live in a High Rise on Lake Michigan. Until a few years ago there was a driving range behind their building. I did enjoy going with Ted and hitting buckets of balls. And this has dredged up a long forgotten memory from my teen years in NYC. We would go to the local driving range and hit balls. It was fun although we had no idea what the game was about. We would aim for the ball picker upper, the caged machine that swept up the balls.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Even as a golfer off a low handicap I sometimes struggle to define it as a sport, I mean, you wear a polo shirt, and slacks! Pros have a caddy to decide what club to use, how to play the shot, distance to the target, lay of the green, putting line.
Caddy says "185 to the pin, , land it 3 metres right of the stick and run it up the slope to the hole, 6 iron for this shot, play it 5 metres in the air to the right to ride the right to left breeze", player then says, "okay, hand me a 6 iron". He takes the shot then hands the club back to the caddy. Hilarious! Meanwhile the caddy runs to get the divot, replaces it, cleans the club and runs with the bag to catch up to the player. Who's doing the work!
And the one that gets me - They even take time out to call rules officials to ensure they don't make an infringement. What sport allows for players not knowing the rules? And for hitting a little white ball with a stick 72 times they earn millions. Am I wrong in thinking there's something skewed here?

Great game and I love it.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great game and I love it.

Me too. I’ve always been a decent athlete and golf has been the toughest game I’ve ever played. Once the mechanics are down, success exists in the six inches between your ears.

It’s great starting them young because they have no fear on the course. My 12 year old daughter knocked a 130yd tee shot, 10’ pin high over water to a postage stamp sized green. I’ve used this time to groom my playing partner; I think she’ll be a good one.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos, aren't some of the clubs called "Drivers?" Don't we call some E9's Drivers. Seems relevant to me. Okay, okay,
Gazz, don't forget the funny shoes. Don't they have some kind of fringe or tassel lace? And look like Oxfords? And have spikes on the bottom to what purpose? Have you ever figured out the cost of a round of golf. Figure in the clubs, bag, clothing, accessories, club membership, greens fees(whatever they are), lessons, food and spirits, caddy tips, and the list goes on. Now we are talking real money.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Golf is cheap compared to sailing and motorcycle racing, just ask me.

Once the mechanics are down, success exists in the six inches between your ears.

So true. 5 ft fast downhill left to right clutch putts for the win will expose you.

Anyway, back to that pesky virus - Today we are relaxing to the extent that we can go to the beach, have picnics, travel 50 klms for leisure. Some businesses are reopening. And importantly we are testing just about everybody instead of just the symptomatic. This will help to determine a rate of asymptomatic positives. Let's see how it goes.
Someone calculated that the cost to save lives will be 48 million dollars per person. If my wife said to me in such a situation that a choice needed to be made, "we can save you but it will cost 48 million", I think it would be time to go.

Last edited:

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gazz, don't forget the funny shoes. Don't they have some kind of fringe or tassel lace? And look like Oxfords? And have spikes on the bottom to what purpose? Have you ever figured out the cost of a round of golf. Figure in the clubs, bag, clothing, accessories, club membership, greens fees(whatever they are), lessons, food and spirits, caddy tips, and the list goes on. Now we are talking real money.

Initial costs can be pricey. Beginners should buy used clubs and cheap golf balls; but start-up can easily run $500. Some golf clubs offer great membership. I had a membership at a club that was $125/month, no greens fees and I could play as much as I wanted. When I lived in Monterey, if you were a regular player and friendly with the pro shop and starter I routinely paid $15-$30/round. Too bad I couldn’t get that hook-up at Pebble Beach though!