good reading

steve in reno

Reaction score
Last year I read a very good BMW history book.
BMW... The classic cars of the 1960's and 70"..ISBN#1861262507.
It gives a good history lesson on model progression and the company. Including the BMW 507, through the 1500, 1600, 2002, cs, 528's.
It particularly pays alot of attention to our beloved e9's.
Not a tech read!

The reason for bringing this up, is that on the dust cover there is a pic of a CSL, with a black vinyl top.
I have never seen a e9 with this top and was wanting to see if others on the board might have one with this option.

The book is a good read.
steve

I believe many UK E9's came with vinyl roofs.

It seemed to be what the market demanded at that particular time. Remember the Jaguar XJ6C? Most of them came with a vinyl roof, including US cars.

I don't believe BMW offered vinyl roofs on CS's outside the UK. Perhaps a dealer installed option.

Vinyl roofs, either installed by BMW UK or the "local" dealer. Many UK cars had one either as "standard" or as an option, Ford, Vauxhall, Jag, BLMC etc etc
Definitely a UK 1970's thing along with Mark Boland, Ziggy Stardust, platform shoes, the 3 day week and the Sweeney :lol:

..... and an atempt to shift very expensive cars at a time when the Deutshmark was very strong compared to the pound........
Malc

Vinyl roofs

Malc is correct. Vinyl roofs were common in the UK on lots of different makes and models in the 70's. My CSi had one when I found it, so I decided to keep it similar, and have a new one fitted.

I kinda like it now - it shines up real nice with the tyre black stuff.

There is a pic of my car shwing the vinyl roof in the gallery. http://www.e9coupe.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=67

Back