Goodwood clip

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This was posted over on FAQ, it has no e9 and only a fleeting shot with a NK sedan. But this '63 1/2 Ford Galaxie big block charging through the field from last to 3rd is damned impressive driving. ..not entirely sure why he's running with the small sedan group, but anyways, enjoy some spectacular racing from Goodwood. (one day I WILL attend this event)

Ed Z

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
About 30 years ago I was fortunate to be able to spend a couple of days at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - actually a hill climb competition - at the end of a week of business meetings in 'Jolly Old'.

I believe 95% of the famous drivers from around the world from the '50's through the 80's were in attendance, and many of them driving the exact cars that served them so well on the tracks (including quite a few NASCAR'sI). I'm sure I could count at least 20 men that I stood within 3-4 feet of and listened to their conversations with other driver's or constructors (e.g. Jim Hall setting on the fender of his Chapparal while Phil Hill told him why it wasn't functioning properly, Sir Stirling Moss chatting with Bob Bondurant shortly after he'd finished the hill climb in the MM winning 300SL, etc.!). There is no car event I've ever attended in the US that came anywhere close to the gravitas that was present there. It was just a couple of years later that the Goodwood Speed Week was re-instituted. Lord March has a pretty nice estate there in Southern England (if I recall correctly, it was ~12K acres).

IF one of these events is on your bucket list, don't let your bucket tip over before you've checked off that mark on the list. You'll never forget the trip.

Gary

PS: I should have mentioned one other attendee I recognized - Juan Manual Fangio. Every other 'famous' driver with whom he came in contact treated him like ROYALTY. I believe he died about 3 years after his presence at that Festival of Speed.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
don't let your bucket tip over before you've checked off that mark on the list

I second the recommendation doing both Goodwood FOS and Revival. These events are head and shoulders above any other classic Motorsport event I’ve attended as a non-driver. That said, I’ve not yet been to the Monterey historics as a driver or spectator. Perhaps it will eclipse Goodwood?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
bfeng,

Went to the Monterey Historics twice (Never made it to Goodwood Revival). Historics were good and enjoyable, but far fewer famous international drivers there than at Goodwood FOS.

Gary

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Goodwood Festival of Speed > Monterey Festorics > Lime Rock Historic Festival > Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.

One day I will attend Goodwood hopefully with several friends.
Monterey Festorics were off the chart awesome in 2016. Also went 2017, 2018 & 2019.
Have been attending Lime Rock since 2002.
PVGP off & on since 1986. Only Vintage Race on public streets with stone walls & trees lining the roads.