Got my baby back from the soda blasters!!!

chicane

Reaction score
chicane !

the only thing I don't understand, is that why didn't you strip your car completely off before sandblasting?

I don't suppose this forum has an ignore list.

Adadebe

Reaction score
Chicane, This is my first ever response to a comment. i just finished my e9 and I will tell you this 99% of responese you are getting here is right on. My car had similar rust spots and there is definitely more than meets the eye. To truly get this car right and be proud of it - the fender need t be cut etc... I listened to the folks as a newbie learned from their mistakes etc... and a of last week have a truly rust free rust protected freshly painted friord blue 3.0cs. I hada friend a mig welder expert cut, patch pieces both new and modified metal into the fender wings - lots of patience. I will listen to folks who have gone thru this - lots of experience. The search engine here was very valuable - I will literally stop in the middle of the work get on line and search this forum for anything I wasnt sure of - The guys here are very helpful and do want to share their thoughts, have talked to a few by phone and received very valuable info. Motto: Listen, do it once and very well and dont repeat it in 5 years[/b]

x_atlas0

Reaction score
A couple of questions:

Are you doing the bodywork yourself? I'm afraid I didn't see that in your previous posts, I'm sorry if it has been mentioned before.

Are you looking for ways to fix the current panels, or are you going more with replacing them?

If you are having trouble sourcing some of the more difficult panels, my body guy taught me a trick of sorts. You can make a patch panel that is close, but not quite right. As long as it is structually sound, it is good. Then, to smooth it over, rather than using bondo, you can put fiberglass over it. The fiberglass epoxy is a bit sterner stuff than the bondo, and as long as it is all cleaned before the fiberglass is laid down, you can pretty much encapsulate the patched area and still make it look nice without worrying about it rusting underneath the fiberglass. I thought it was a pretty trick way of doing things. It may be able to save you some headache in the engine bay, as you cold English wheel out some new upper engine bay/fender panels, make it very strong, cut out all the rust, then fiber over and under it. It would make it very strong, if the welds were good. Plus, it could be done relatively easily since you can get to both sides to apply the fiberglass. On the downside, the engine bay would look kinda funny without the weld tabs sticking up. I suppose you could add them, though, without much difficulty.

He used this trick on my rear driver's wheel well, in on the inside. That way, I didn't have to find an entire wheel well, he was able to cut away the rotted area, weld in a somewhat generic patch panel after he hammered it out a bit, then glased it on both sides. It looks stock from the inside and the outside, (of the wheel well) and is heavily protected with a naval rust inhibitor.

I'm afraid the wheel well rust areas are a bit larger than most of the patch panels I have seen for those sections. The OEM patch panels wouldn't quite reach the lower body kink, if I remember right.

chicane

Reaction score
No matter how you slice it, it's a LOT of work. I didn't mean to be nasty in my post, but the fact is that, this job is going to take a lot more than a few Jaymic patch panels, and the sooner you come to terms with that, the better off you will be.
S

Oh no! You mean I'm not going to have this rust bucket up and running in a month? Oh well I guess I'll just have to suffer with my other bucket...

Or maybe this beater...

I need to arrange for a way to work :lol:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
While we're beating up on Chicane about his coupe, I'd like to say just one thing....

Malc, what the hell are you thinking? You should've crushed that thing a LONG time ago!"

Dan

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This thread is getting testy.

Hats off to Chicane for embarking on the project of saving another coupe, and for turning a badly rusted Pontiac into a very good looking M3 :).

chicane

Reaction score

Hats off to Chicane for embarking on the project of saving another coupe, and for turning a badly rusted Pontiac into a very good looking M3 :).

Thanks. It used to be a 64 Bonneville but with a MIG welder, some bondo, and a lot of patience I am now the proud owner of e46 M3.

Malc

Reaction score
While we're beating up on Chicane about his coupe, I'd like to say just one thing....

Malc, what the hell are you thinking? You should've crushed that thing a LONG time ago!"

Dan

You mean you have never watch classic movies like...
The return of the living dead (BMW)
The Thirtynine steps (to restoring your BMW)
(Restoring) From here to Eternity
The StepBMW wives
Honey, I restored the BMW
The Road to Munich
Das BMW
Doctor StrangeBMW
StarTrek 99, Rust, the Final Frontier

Malc :wink:

PS Chicane: Nice toys in your shed!

chicane

Reaction score

Dan

You mean you have never watch classic movies like...
The return of the living dead (BMW)
The Thirtynine steps (to restoring your BMW)
(Restoring) From here to Eternity
The StepBMW wives
Honey, I restored the BMW
The Road to Munich
Das BMW
Doctor StrangeBMW
StarTrek 99, Rust, the Final Frontier

Malc :wink:

PS Chicane: Nice toys in your shed!

Thanks dude. Come over the pond sometime and I'll let you drive them.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Arde said:

Testy indeed...but great comment Ariel...Pontiac to M3.. LOL...

Frankly, I'm not too interested in providing any more advice if it means I am going to have to endure a lot of crap if it isn't what the guy wants to hear...That and snitty looky-what-I-got-in-MY-garage posts.

I'd much rather give Malc a hard time about his bucket...(and Malc, If you are stateside.. do you want to do the bay area clinic??)

Good luck Chicane.

Malc

Reaction score
I'd much rather give Malc a hard time about his bucket...(and Malc, If you are stateside.. do you want to do the bay area clinic??)

Good luck Chicane.

I'd love to, even if I have to endure teasing from you about the dear old bucket.... :lol:
I am going to be in Connecticut for 5 days which is a bit of a haul from from the west coast I suspect. :roll:
Unfortunately my short visit is work related so I am not sure if I will get any day's off as it were.
I must admit I was quite surprised how this particular thread "blew up". We all are "playing" with an E9 in one way or another, and for lots of different reasons.
I realise that some here may consider what I am doing, and the way I am doing it is er, very strange, and would not go about an E9 restoration my way or Chicane's way.
I have my reasons which might not be logical to others but they are to me. :shock:
Yes we can all be a bit pigheaded, but I do take suggestions from this board on board to see if they help, or not, in my particular circumstances.
I have seen other boards degenerate into personal slanging matches and I sincerely hope this one doesn't go that way.......
....and finally, to paraphrase somebody who's name I have forgotten
I might not agree with what your doing but I will defend to the death your right to do so.
Malc

chicane

Reaction score
Frankly, I'm not too interested in providing any more advice if it means I am going to have to endure a lot of crap if it isn't what the guy wants to hear...That and snitty looky-what-I-got-in-MY-garage posts.

I didn't see anything from you that remotely resembled advice. And frankly I don't need a "lecture" from joe forumguy when:

A. He has no idea what my plans for the car are.
B. He has not personally inspected the car yet makes broad claims to the condition of specific body panels.
C. He has no more restoration experience than me.
D. Likes to talk about his daily driver but doesn't want others to talk about theirs.

:D

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Woah, woah, easy guys, we don't want this place to turn out like the Registry, do we?

Let's try to stay on topic, which was chicane asking how he should proceed in terms of body work.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
When it comes right down to it, I'm jealous of Chicane and Malc. They're smart enough to know what they're getting themselves into, that's not the issue. The issue is, they have WAY more time on their hands than I do. :?

Now, everyone over to Malc's house for a beer!

Dan

Malc

Reaction score
44fbbd9c40aa05ee81bacb79c2895744.jpg

Cracking Idea dang :D
Anybody who is from the board and happens to be in the NE of Scotland would be more than welcome.
I think I have some beer in the house, and other stuff for those who don't drink alcohol.

I'll even provide the cheese.......
5c7cd98fe57adc9f90e67a2fd6cba660.jpg

Well it has to be Wensleydale, I grew up there, physically, if not mentally :wink:

Cheers
Malc

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
My last post on this topic..

Chicane.

You asked for advice. I gave it, and you didn't like it. and so we have this little urinary Olympiad.

You have no idea how many cars I have restored (5)

You have no idea how much restoration experience I have (plenty)

I haved seen enough E9's to know what is in store for you without physicaly inspecting the car (its a mess)

When you finally get off your high horse and take a deep look at your car, you will see that I was trying to be helpful and realistic, but, from your posts you are not likely to remember any of this once you find that your car is far worse than your pipe dreams have led you to believe. If you want advice, then you had better quit being an asshole about taking it.

I hope you have a fine time restoring your car. It is far worse than you are willing to admit.

S

chicane

Reaction score
You have no idea how many cars I have restored (5)

You have no idea how much restoration experience I have (plenty)

Like I said, you don't have any more experience than me.

I haved seen enough E9's to know what is in store for you without physicaly inspecting the car (its a mess)

When you finally get off your high horse and take a deep look at your car, you will see that I was trying to be helpful

I hope you have a fine time restoring your car. It is far worse than you are willing to admit.

S

And these are the kinds of "helpful" comments that spurred me to respond in kind. I will have many satisfying and yes, enjoyable hours spent bringing this car back to life...as a track car.

Now you'll forgive me but the ///M needs to warmed up...