Great alone, better together: Coupe and Lloyd Wright

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Went to a gathering at the Marin county civic center which was designed by old Frank last Saturday

Pre-Stage-september-Tunnel-cfriske v4b flat.jpg

Very cool building and a great picture! I remember going there with my parents when it first opened. I recall that it, like many Wright buildings, has had trouble with the roof remaining water tight.

Wonderful picture...
I have to admit that I have driven past that building dozens of times (on the freeway) and always been intrigued by its style - but only learned its heritage and history after I moved out of the area. Next time I have a chance, I am going to try to get a better look at it (as good as you can anyway).

Wonderful picture...
I have to admit that I have driven past that building dozens of times (on the freeway) and always been intrigued by its style - but only learned its heritage and history after I moved out of the area. Next time I have a chance, I am going to try to get a better look at it (as good as you can anyway).
You can get right to it... and inside of it. Spent a lot of time in there getting building permits etc...

They even have tours

https://www.marincounty.org/depts/cu/tours

I have driven past that building dozens of times (on the freeway) and always been intrigued by its style - but only learned its heritage and history after I moved out of the area. Next time I have a chance, I am going to try to get a better look at it (as good as you can anyway).
I'm guilty of the exact, same thing: lived in the Bay Area for 20 years, drove by the building several times, never took the time to visit. Now that I live in southern California, I'm a tourist when I'm up that way. Locals don't always take the time to visit things in their neighborhood, but when you're a tourist, you tend to do stuff like that.

So on a trip to Marin a couple of years ago, we walked around the building. It is very visitor-friendly. Many displays to explain the building's history, and the friendly staff who took the time to stop and chat with the tourists. Definitely worth visiting!

If you can't visit the building, rent the film Gattaca, which was shot there. Definitely a grade "B-" movie, but the shots of the Civic Center as a futuristic rocket launching site make it worthwhile.

Back