"Greenhouse" looks familiar!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know I've never seen one of these on the streets/roads/museums, etc. This might be the first picture of the 1967 Maserati I've ever seen. But - the shape/appearance of the greenhouse really caught my attention. Also the 'vent' of the front fenders. Since this was designed in the early/mid '60's, did it have influence on the BMW design studio?

Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think it more likely that Vignale was influenced by the beautiful BMW 3200 CS Bertone (but of course, I am not completely impartial):

bmw 3200 CS.jpg

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it more likely that Vignale was influenced by the beautiful BMW 3200 CS Bertone (but of course, I am not completely impartial):

View attachment 155169
Another beautiful greenhouse that I've never seen in person. Visibility from inside all these cars was wonderful. I guess 'rollover' protection for driver and passengers took precedence over beauty and 360 degrees of visibility.

Gary

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another beautiful greenhouse that I've never seen in person. Visibility from inside all these cars was wonderful. I guess 'rollover' protection for driver and passengers took precedence over beauty and 360 degrees of visibility.

Gary
I think it was Tom McCahill of Mechanics Illustrated that said cars like this had "all the roll over protection of a starched bed sheet."

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Gary
I've only seen one 3200 CS - at the BMW CCA Foundation Museum in Greer as part of the 2020 Foundation Fest event. Dark blue with a tan interior. It was bigger than I thought it would be, and very, very pretty.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of these is under full restoration near by ... Some say there are more waiting around for bringing them life.

It seems someone were gathering them once they were ugly, rusty and abandoned in few Europe countries.

Now I'm recalling standing by one of such rusty and incomplete car many years ago.

I remember it wasn't a desirable model even for bimmer's fans...

Restoration is extremely difficult as there is nothing from body parts ... All need to be done from scratch or copied. So demanding task in comparison to E9.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've only seen one 3200 CS - at the BMW CCA Foundation Museum in Greer as part of the 2020 Foundation Fest event. Dark blue with a tan interior. It was bigger than I thought it would be, and very, very pretty.
I might have seen the same one in Saratoga a few years back.
@adawil2002 , can you recall?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I might have seen the same one in Saratoga a few years back.
@adawil2002 , can you recall?

Yes, that was restored by The Werke Shop & owned by Kevin Whalen for years. In 2016 on the way to Monterey to be shown at Pebble Beach, the car broke loose in the transport & nearly totaled the car, every panel was damaged. Insurance paid for the subsequent restoration. Kevin has since sold the car & bought an excellent 850CSi.