Greetings from Chicago!

Kev

Reaction score
Name's Kev, as my handle indicates. :smile:

I am the proud, (if not fearful) owner of a 1973 3.0 CS that my father, brother, and I picked up as a restoration project. We picked up the car last July after seeing an ad on eBay. It was imported in the mid-70s by Heinz Meis. He apparently is the President of Gemballa North America now. Neat.

The previous owner refused to part the car out, even though most people who saw the car wanted to buy it for parts alone. He was willing to give us a break on the price, and it was too irresistible to pass up. It was in driveable, albeit unsafe condition, but after addressing a leaky radiator hose and a missing gasket on the oil filter assembly, she drove! A few days later, we began to inspect the car.

Oh Lord, what have I gotten myself into? :-?

Rust everywhere ... It seems like all the typical rust-prone areas have been eaten away. This will be an exercise in bodywork skills.

270285_548421163059_1120061_n.jpg

Here she is a few days after we bought her.

270187_548421183019_5228399_n.jpg

The interior isn't too bad, actually, minus the missing radio and delaminating wood, and the worn seats, and the rusted floorboards ....

zwjg5x.jpg

Motor out, ready for a rebuild.

As she sits right now, I am preparing to take off the front fenders to replace all the rusted inner fender structural pieces. I wouldn't have even attempt this project, or even bought the car, were it not for the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

A few facts about me and my family - My father's been a mechanic for going on 30 years now. My brother and I have been wrenching on cars since we were two years old, and we used to work for my father's farm and turf equipment repair shop at a local country club. I am currently a law student in my last semester of law school, and I hope to find a job as soon as I graduate, so I can really get this car fixed up.

Anyhow, nice to meet you all! :grin:

arnie

Reaction score
Hi Kev,

and welcome ! Be prepared to find "funny" things when you take of the fenders. I did that receintly and know that pretty exactly. :-?

The E9 is always quite a challange, especially when some "experts" already did some "repairs" to it, but no rocket science at the end.

Have fun

Ingo

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Vin

Get the VIN and register your coupe at CS Registry on the black bar above.
There is a section where you can click "under restoration" then change it when done!

Welcome to the club!

tmason

Reaction score
Welcome Kev
The photo's you have posted show alot of rust on fender wells&windows sills so before you get to far into the engine rebuild I would pull the rocker covers and remove the chrome wheel well covers because it may be cheaper to find a useable shell to rebuild with all the parts you have.Even being able to do the body work yourself you are talking about alot of hours and unless it's a CSL you will find yourself upside down pretty quickly.I'm hoping to save you from chasing bad money with more bad money with an engine rebuild and I also want to give you credit on trying to save a beautiful beast!
Thanks and good luck with what ever you decide,Tim.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome, check out the surgery Ingo (Arnie) has done on his Coupe. Here is a link for the major resto on Sven's car.

http://www.vranedom.com

Best of Luck, wear a respirator!

Kev

Reaction score
Thanks all!

Hi Kev,

and welcome ! Be prepared to find "funny" things when you take of the fenders. I did that receintly and know that pretty exactly. :-?

Thanks! :grin: I've looked under the fenders and it seems everything north of the firewall/A-pillar isn't too bad, but the top plate has rusted though. The lower A-pillar is also pretty much gone. I'll have to put in an order through Jaymic for their A-pillar repair kit ... But at this point, I'm just trying to get the car dismantled.

Get the VIN and register your coupe at CS Registry on the black bar above.
There is a section where you can click "under restoration" then change it when done!

Welcome to the club!

I put her on the registry sometime earlier this week. I was surprised to see a former entry from what seemed like an interested party a few months before we bought the car. See the link in my signature.

Welcome Kev
The photo's you have posted show alot of rust on fender wells&windows sills so before you get to far into the engine rebuild I would pull the rocker covers and remove the chrome wheel well covers because it may be cheaper to find a useable shell to rebuild with all the parts you have.Even being able to do the body work yourself you are talking about alot of hours and unless it's a CSL you will find yourself upside down pretty quickly.I'm hoping to save you from chasing bad money with more bad money with an engine rebuild and I also want to give you credit on trying to save a beautiful beast!
Thanks and good luck with what ever you decide,Tim.

Thanks, Tim! Yeah, this one's going to be a long-term project. I was surprised to see some running, decent condition E9s on Bring-A-Trailer for as little as $5k. I wish I could just go ahead and buy a more complete, less-rusted shell, but space is a premium at my parents' garage (8 cars, 4 motorcycles and a very large dog :shock: ).

This will be my first restoration project (my father has done a few in the past; he fixed up and did some resto work on my grandfather's 1963 Pontiac Tempest in the Philippines in the 80s). I've already begun saving money for the patch panels. The motor's going to be mildly tuned. We have a set of Weber 40DCOEs waiting to go on once we refresh it with bearings, rings and gaskets. I'm planning a mild Schrick cam and a set of Ireland or Stahl headers plumbed to a custom exhaust.

I know I'm still new to the scene, but as Sir Jeremy Clarkson famously quipped, "how hard can it be?" :neutral:

Welcome, check out the surgery Ingo (Arnie) has done on his Coupe. Here is a link for the major resto on Sven's car.

That is a great site. Thanks for linking me to it. I have no doubt I will defer to these pictures and everyone elses' for the next few years :p I will take a look at Ingo's resto as well.

I'm not looking to do a concours-quality restoration, but I do want the car to last and perform for a very long time. I also want to compete in a few classic road rally events and take the car autocrossing and road racing once in awhile. I will build the car with that goal in mind, but there's a few choices I need to mull over (repaint to original Chamonix? keep it as a CSL replica?).

It's going to be a long and arduous process, but I'm thankful to have everyone's advice at hand!

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Correction: This is not Sven's restoration. This is vraned's (my) restoration. A minor point, but I would not want to associate Sven's good name with some of my earlier sheet metal work shown on the site. Review W&N's repro sheet metal inventory, and reasonable prices. You might not be interested in a concours restoration now, but you may regret some fabrication decisions as the car starts to shape up.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Resto or not

Just my two cents-

Do a complete inspection and add up all the bits BEFORE you spend one penny on it. Things like outer, intermediate, and inner rockers, pillars, floors, fenders, custom fabbed patch panels, bodywork, paint and all your (and others') labor added to homework and lifestyle will help put things into a more realistic perspective.

Figure on all work above to come to at least 20K depending on how much labor you can personally handle.

I wish you luck!