Greetings from Poland!

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dear BMW fans!

It is a pleasure to join the E9 forum.

I don't know how it works but BMW were always special cars for me. No one makes me a fan. It looks like it is self-developed. ;)
During comunism time not many of them were visible on the steets but I was aware where they are parking in my area!
I have seen 2000cs once and I was a shock for me that time. E9 were not around at all but I do remember E12 (520i) and Isetta getting rusty and forgotten. I'm pretty sure they've ended up in the scrapyard (a lot of rust, no parts or just too expensive to keep them running)

Finally - some years after - I was able to buy my first BMW - E30 touring in beautiful daytona violett-metallic. I had that car (daily) for 9 years.
The car made me DIY mechanic as I was doing most of the repair alone.

That time I was trying to avoid any rust, so E23, E24 were not on my focus - despite I was a fan of the fronts, much more narrower than on E30.
But shark-look was still in me. More BMWs I was driving the more I was thinking about oldies... E9 became a unicorn to me.

One day I asked to myself which can I would like to have most?
The answer was quite obvious: E9!

Unfortunately not many of them are for sale now. In the past it was much easier (and cheaper).
But I was lucky and finally found my current car... 2.5CSA ('75)

Car had only one owner and it wasn't driven since 1991 and what is important for me - it wasn't modified by any tuner. That were the decision points for me to take it.

My Friends name it Eleonor (from "60 seconds" movie).

Currently it is waiting for it's time for restoration as I need to finish other BMW project.
This is the right time for condition verification, parts gathering.

2.5CSA were produced only for two years during oil crisis. Version with automatic transmission was only 244 from 884 produced!
As far as I know most of them were very poorly equipped but that time even 2.5CS was worth more than E3 wth bigger engine.

Equipment:
- front door window manual
- rear door fixed!
- no aircondition
- no leather
- 14" steel wheels with chrome caps and aluminum rings

The only special equipment in the E9 is:
- a lot of RUST! :(
- radio (Blaupunkt)
- electric roof (another PITA point)

There are many experience E9 Fans here.
I have already found many interesting information, which are very important for me before I will start deep dive into the project.

It is a yard-art for now.

Welcome to All of You and many thanks for the patience to new member like me!

fot1.jpg
fot2.jpg
fot3.jpg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You do have a rare BMW CS. There are probably very few,if any, here in the USA.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you.

I think they were not available in US.
Maybe some can be found in US as a result of private import, but nor engine nor eqiupment would make them interesting that time.

Personally... Fixed rear windows is something which I just can't understand for such a "grand tourismo".

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Krzysztof,

Welcome. I’m fairly new to the site myself although I’ve had e9 coupes for some time now. You have a great car. Don’t worry about the details of what you don’t have, enjoy the beauty of the e9 form. You have your work (and metal) cut out for you. The body will be your number one concern. Mechanicals are fairly easy. Much luck to you!

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Oldbmwcoupes, Thank you!

It is true that car is simple except the body.

I looked around the car mechanical design and it is pretty streight forward. I love it!
The car body is not so simple, especially the front A-pillar area design. Also rust under the paint (invisible before soda blasting).

Choose the right body shop is a challenge.
I know few for now. In my humble opinion it does not have to be E9 oriented (but it is good to have) as it seems they are charging much more than others. Many cars from 70's (Jaguars, Porsches, Alfa Romeos) are difficult for repairs. Good thing E9 body is well documented and many parts are available.
I would love to play as a help in such a body shop to be able to work with my E9 at least for simple or time consuming tasks as that would be great fun for me and also made the work a little cheaper but not sure it is an option anyhow as no one from my Friends is working in a bodyshop.

All of these are on my list of thing to think about. I'm not in a hurry at all but I would love to go for a ride in resonable time frame (3-5 years).

I'm curious how long other members were restoring their BMWs?
I'll try to find out by reading "Projects and Restoration" Section on the Forum. o_O

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello Krzystoff, and welcome to the madness. I have not had my car painted (although I may someday), but I have some comments.

First, the way these cars were built is somewhat unusual. Therefore, it is often a good idea to work with a body shop who knows how these cars were originally put together. Many coupe owners have had bad experiences with body shop people whose knowledge is limited to more modern cars, and the value of your car in the future will be better if the repairs are done correctly. This will be more expensive, and probably take longer because they are busy.

Second, as to working with them, one thing you can do to cut costs and work with your e9 is to do some of the disassembly of the car yourself. Of course, you need to be able to put it back together, so organizing the parts and fasteners and wiring and whatnot is very important. Pictures help a lot.

Lastly, I encourage you to look around in the technical section of this forum. In particular, this copy of Kenneth Ball's Autobooks 906 is very helpful: https://e9coupe.com/tech/autobooks/autobooks.html

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi!

"Welcome to the madness" ... a good one! :D

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have similar story with E30 convertible which is waiting for a paint (after body repair being done)... 3rd year. ;)

Body shop topic struggles me a lot. The good in a bad I still have some time in front of me.
One shop which is specializing in E9 told me so much (only for manhours, without body parts and materials) that it was a little shock for the first time. Sooner or later I need to adopt to such a levels.
I know one who is doing old cars but E9 is new to him... He's smart guy and likes challenges. He's also much closer to me, so I can visit him quite quickly.

For sure I will do the disassembly as I would like to review and refresh most of the part (replacements, repairs, painting, plating...) as these are things I love to do with classic BMWs (previously done few times for E30s and E36).

I like the simplicity of E9. I need to gain new experience with plywood I think, or?

The book is needed.
Some years ago I bough it (Autobook 906) on eBay for few pounds only. Much easier to have it in hand.
Also blue books (E3/E9 Bible) have been purchased but not received yet.

I'm really happy to deal with this sweet madness... This illness is not the be healed but I love it! :love:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Modern Beauty ... There are an extraordinary models and among them E30. That was my first car with roundel on, but I should have bought E24 or E9 that time. o_O

@Stan I see white is you favourite color, isn't it? ;)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome Krzysztof! I hope you have a heater in the garage, you'll be spending lots of time there! Good luck- interesting car.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Peter. It is somehow difficult for me how to follow-up on my E9 due to the fact I would like to use 262/5 and maybe rear electric window lifters and probably not a steel 14" wheels but all of these can be put aside as secured for the future.

Unfortunately my "heated garage" is busy with E30 conv. under restoration (after bodyshop). ;)

I bought E9 as this is my dream car and all E9s are becomes like unicorns and/or sick expensive. I have gathered some parts already but need much more. Some processess will be new to me (plywood restoration for example).

I like to play around my "beauties" as much as possible by myself to make my hands dirty. :)

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe I will start loooooong restoration story under "Projects & Restoration" section.

What do you think? It will take few years minimum.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Stan, is there a salt used on the road during winter time?

Most of EU cars ended up on scrapyeard due to winter's salt on a roads :(

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh... It is strange that even in XXI century we're using this ... salt.

I'm not even about cars but it was prooven it is also not good for plants, trees and rivers.

Anyway... My idea for winter is 325iX E30 ... :D