Grommets for electric door window cables

pmansson

Reaction score
Besides the holed grommet into the A-post, is there supposed to be a holed grommet on the front end of the door (through which the cable passes)?
The hole is just where the metal bends 135 degrees. Perhaps it is supposed to be without grommet to allow the cable to move freely as the door opens and closes???

Thanks,
PM

Mine has a braided, thick, cloth hose section that goes between the door and the A pillar. It slides as the door opens and closes. The ends are frayed out so it won't "pop" out of the holes on the door and the A pillar.

Interesting! I wonder if this is the original setup?
The reason I ask, is that besides water possibly entering, I noticed today while driving without the doorcovers that the plastic protection layer was blowing with the wind entering perhaps from this little hole, but more likely from the lack of sealing between the A-post and the door. I will now try to determine where I need to add rubber insulation. Some ventilation is always good, but here was a powerful draft.....!!

About the seals in the door

I don't have the answer to your question--but--check with Walloth 'n Nesch--

as you likely still drive in the rain and have quite a lot in CH--we don't except winter months but I no longer drive the BLUMAX in any rain if it can be avoided--some simple steps to follow may also help

1) be very sure your CS has the door and quarter panel vapor/moisture barriers intact and securely attached to the inner structure just behind the panels. I have substituted a heavier grade of clear plastic moisture barrier used in construction here in SoCal.

2) I coated the backside of my door and quarter panels with a product available here in the Colonies called POR-15--I used the clear and brushed it over the entire raw inner surface--likes a moist day to dry--now the pressed paper will simply no longer absorb moisture and the clip holes are sinificantly strengthened as well so no more "tear outs"

3) is the seal in the door bottom slot still in place--not uncommon for it to be missing

4) you can minimize moisture, odors, etc. from enetring the cabin--with windows closed just drive with the air vent slider control open (as far as conditions permit) to admit outside air--in this way you are creating a slight positive cabin pressure that helps prevent entry of unwanted stuff

HTH

Back