Group 2 CSL on ebay. Interesting story but a few questions

Shawn

Reaction score
The car obviously has been well documented and is a beautiful specimen but it started life as a 1969 2800cs and now has Group 2 flares, a 3.5, Al doors, hood, etc and paper work noting it as a CSL but it really is not, correct? VIN does not justify a true CSL. Is this not just a factory authorized, race history, well documented clone??

thanks,

chicane

Reaction score
The car obviously has been well documented and is a beautiful specimen but it started life as a 1969 2800cs and now has Group 2 flares, a 3.5, Al doors, hood, etc and paper work noting it as a CSL but it really is not, correct? VIN does not justify a true CSL. Is this not just a factory authorized, race history, well documented clone??

thanks,

Oh my goodness. Look pal do a search and bone up on your Coupe history. MOST of the privateer cars were not CSL's at birth. They were holomogated and raced in the appropriate class based on engine displacement and areo kits. In essence, in FIA, if they had the body and the engine they were CSL's. And true vintage "CSL" race cars retain their value NOT from their VIN but from their logbook.

If you want a REAL CSL racer here ya go:

http://tinyurl.com/nlzmwv

Shawn

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure that I an understanding that correctly.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. Look pal do a search and bone up on your Coupe history. MOST of the privateer cars were not CSL's at birth. They were holomogated and raced in the appropriate class based on engine displacement and areo kits. In essence, in FIA, if they had the body and the engine they were CSL's. And true vintage "CSL" race cars retain their value NOT from their VIN but from their logbook.

If you want a REAL CSL racer here ya go:

http://tinyurl.com/nlzmwv

Maybe some people think that this forum would be a good place to ask questions and learn from those who know more than them. Of course that would be at the risk of getting a condescending answer. I bet more people can't wait to ask questions now...

Dan

chicane

Reaction score
Maybe some people think that this forum would be a good place to ask questions and learn from those who know more than them. Of course that would be at the risk of getting a condescending answer. I bet more people can't wait to ask questions now...

Dan

You're right. That was a bit much on my part, but my goodness how may people in the past couple of years have asked the same exact question. A simple search and you would render you the same answer minus the "chicane" smart aleck condescension.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let's debunk this search myth once and for all. There is no rule on the board that requires doing a search before asking a question. The question was asked in the context of the thread, which is very efficient before embarking in hours of research. A willing responder already has the answer, so it is no big burden either.

Here is the board FAQ.
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_search

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not to fan the flames since I'm a newbie to the forum and coupes, but... We could probably mothball this forum (and most others) if all we need to do is search past posts since most everything has already been discussed. I for one look forward to engaging in discussion of new topics and renewed discussions of old topics. Thanks in advance for your patience...

Luis

chicane

Reaction score
Not to fan the flames since I'm a newbie to the forum and coupes, but... We could probably mothball this forum (and most others) if all we need to do is search past posts since most everything has already been discussed. I for one look forward to engaging in discussion of new topics and renewed discussions of old topics. Thanks in advance for your patience...

Luis

It's one thing to renew old discussion (threads) it's still another to ask the same question over and over. It is common knowledge on any internet forum to do a quick search first before asking a question, especially if you are a newb to the forum and may not already know that this question has this question was asked again and again. I have even had my hand rapped over the same thing and it was well deserved.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Suggestion to Chicane--

Not to fan flames either but--FFT--The "Chicane of old" seems to be re-appearing that we thought had retired.

A suggestion from this non-newbie is to cool your instructive manner again--retire to your more recent, more pleasant demeanor--and welcome newcomers but not in the manner you have caustically "welcomed" the recent E-9 owner.

chicane

Reaction score
Not to fan flames either but--FFT--The "Chicane of old" seems to be re-appearing that we thought had retired.

A suggestion from this non-newbie is to cool your instructive manner again--retire to your more recent, more pleasant demeanor--and welcome newcomers but not in the manner you have caustically "welcomed" the recent E-9 owner.

And the same collection of "chicane-haters" seem to come out of the E9 dashboard woodwork to jump on the bandwagon...On Queue.

Just use the search link....that's what it's for.

timt

Reaction score
Somehow I don't think this forum sets out to be a "wikipedia" but it does intend to be a discussion point. OK, so the same question gets asked several times, it dosn't have to be answered by the same person or the first to feel grumpy ... and in this instance I think it would take some "smart" searches to establish that CSL racers presented as CSLs did not all originate as CSLs. Of course everyone knows that but had just overlooked it when asking again to get a reaction! It's great we have so much knowledge spread across the continents and it's good that some of the myths can be debunked whilst the "younger" people gather the knowledge from the older and keep the interest alive. And, it's even better when we all "play nicely together"!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is no requirement to use the search the key any more than a requirement to read the technical manual on this site, or to call one of the E9 specialized shops listed in the links section.

BTW, the question was asked by Shawn, hardly a newbie needing advise on how to go about learning E9s.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, time to let this thread go... There's an argument on both sides of "searching", but I think we've all agreed that its best to give our opinions in a way that keeps it a discussion and not an argument.

If you want to comment on the cool car, fine. If you want to bitch about someone, go find another site where people get off on that...

Dan