Hagerty Article that makes us all think twice

jmackro

Reaction score
I read that Hagerty article and when I finished I thought: "yea, there may be some truth to that, but its author, Jack Baruth, sure seems overly angry about it".

OK, I used to hoon when I was a kid, but now that I'm in my 70's, I'm critical of the kids doing it today. So does that mean that hooning is in fact a good thing? Or does it simply mean that just because I did stupid things when I was younger, doesn't make those things un-stupid.

What irks me are the loud exhaust, doing burnouts, breaking traffic laws people (yes, mostly younger people) who show up at our local cars & coffee gatherings. That element has gotten us thrown out of previous meeting places, and we responsible car owners fear they will get us thrown out of our current spot. Would Jack Baruth just say "now aren't those little boys cute"?

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I took the article to mean it is too easy for us old guys to criticize younger drivers for doing what we did and disparaging their love of automobiles.

The dynamic between generations has never changed, and will never change. It has nothing to do with cars. Pick your poison and the dynamic is present.

I couldn’t make it through another one of Jack’s angry doomsday scenarios. He’s trying to englighten his generation as if he is actually in-touch. The automotive enthusiast base and performance market has steadily increased YoY since the 50’s. It isn’t going anywhere, even with looming regulations.

There is plenty of room for baby boomer enthusiasts to shake their heads at millennial car “kids”. It makes absolutely zero difference, and they could care less. It is the automotive equivalent of a “get off my lawn” neighbor.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
The dynamic between generations has never changed, and will never change. It has nothing to do with cars. Pick your poison and the dynamic is present.

I couldn’t make it through another one of Jack’s angry doomsday scenarios. He’s trying to englighten his generation as if he is actually in-touch. The automotive enthusiast base and performance market has steadily increased YoY since the 50’s. It isn’t going anywhere, even with looming regulations.

There is plenty of room for baby boomer enthusiasts to shake their heads at millennial car “kids”. It makes absolutely zero difference, and they could care less. It is the automotive equivalent of a “get off my lawn” neighbor.
I enjoyed the article. As an official old fart, and original owner of my CS, I still enjoy the compliments every time I go out. They come from baby boomers and millennials, men and women, or ordinary folks who just enjoy seeing a beautiful classic.

And I, more than anything else, will continue to love its’ exhaust/muffler sound!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We were immortal. We did stupid, dangerous, fun, thrilling things and thought nothing, nada, of it. Adults looked at us as some of us look at the current crop of happy fools and frown, and scorn and say the world is going to hell. My coupe was really loud. A buddy compared it to a helicopter landing. That was when I was tracking it. When I stopped I quieted it down a bit. Just a bit. Never played the Blaupunkt, won't play the Becker in my current 2002.

Fact: teenagers, especially the male variety, mature much later, have no sense of consequences, are blinded by hormones, driven in part by lust. The primitive brainstem is in control! Watch out, here they come. A study in Britain labeled them and us at the "inconsequencial child. Nailed it.

jmackro

Reaction score
I couldn’t make it through another one of Jack’s angry doomsday scenarios. He’s trying to englighten his generation as if he is actually in-touch.

Does Jack Baruth write these scolding articles with some regularity? I follow a lot of automotive journalists, but his name didn't ring any bells.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
When someone posts " Just blew my engine LOL"..... need I say more!

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does Jack Baruth write these scolding articles with some regularity? I follow a lot of automotive journalists, but his name didn't ring any bells.

In all fairness I only read his bad articles. The guy has pumped out a ton of content. I generally dislike any negative automotive journalist. Unless I’m at the doctor or dentist, I don’t read car magazines (or any magazines for that matter). Jack has had plenty of negative content, such as his article on the 996.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I read the article. The message I got from it is “don’t be an A**hole”. I’ve always found those to be good words to live by.
Love of Cars came to me at an early age and has never waned. I didn’t get it from my father or a relative it was just always a passion that seem to come naturally. Over the years I’ve been around car guys who’s arrogance was greater than their knowledge but I never let it discourage me or weaken my vintage car obsession. I see guys at C&C’s bring late model Nissans or Subarus and rich guys with Bentleys and McLarens, not cars I would spend money on, but I appreciate their passion and would never disparage them or their cars. My kids are 26 and 25 and have been around Old BMWs since they were born but my passion has not rubbed off on them, not for lack of trying. In 2008 we attended Concours Italiano and they both told me they were bored. I knew it was over and I realized you’re either born with the passion or you’re not. If you are born with it, it’s not easily diminished.

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I hope this link works

I just posted that to the Vintage and two other car/BMW pages.
Interesting take on the car culture.
My saying is "it's your car so do what you want"
I may not like but I'm not going to blast someone for their extra big wing, etc, etc,
I love to see what they do and sometimes how they do it.
I love the bouncing 60's Chevy's as the tech is cool.
I don't discourage anyone but if asked will make suggestions or give advice.
Since I do all my own work I get asked quite a bit once they know that.
I was supposed to go talk at some "trade" schools here but Covid stopped that. I will go back to them.
With all the announcement recently about ending fossil fuel emissions and going to all electric cars by 2040 it does make one ponder if we will be able to drive our cars or even buy fuel for them? By then maybe $20/gal. Supply and demand. Remember R12?
One of my adult boys is a car guy and get's it.
The other son is all about the emissions and even comments on my coupe and 2002 with no cats.
I remind him that they are only driven a 1000 miles a year, each if possible.
My 88 M5 still has cats even though it does not have to pass emissions anymore.
We'll see?
Gary

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As much as I would love to be younger, I don't envy them.

Everything is so dang expensive for millennials and genz.

Wages suck,. Today's pop Music sucks, and cost of housing is outrageous.

I appreciate anyone into cars and I learned to not look down on any gear head, regardless of what they are proud of.

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I read the article. The message I got from it is “don’t be an A**hole”. I’ve always found those to be good words to live by.
Love of Cars came to me at an early age and has never waned. I didn’t get it from my father or a relative it was just always a passion that seem to come naturally. Over the years I’ve been around car guys who’s arrogance was greater than their knowledge but I never let it discourage me or weaken my vintage car obsession. I see guys at C&C’s bring late model Nissans or Subarus and rich guys with Bentleys and McLarens, not cars I would spend money on, but I appreciate their passion and would never disparage them or their cars. My kids are 26 and 25 and have been around Old BMWs since they were born but my passion has not rubbed off on them, not for lack of trying. In 2008 we attended Concours Italiano and they both told me they were bored. I knew it was over and I realized you’re either born with the passion or you’re not. If you are born with it, it’s not easily diminished.
Good words JMin. I recall cars were always an interest of mine. Would attend all the International Auto Shows I could get into. I remember suggesting to my Dad that he should get a new Jaguar XJ6 when he was ready to move up from the Chevy. He never got it and carried on upgrading (?) inside the Chevrolet family, until he moved into a Buick. Marketing, oh my! I had hoped my sons would catch the fever, but they have connected with other distractions. My youngest son came with me to Monterey 2012, and really enjoyed the spectacle. Even at Concorso Italiano, he waited patiently to meet with Bertone's granddaughter who was there to help celebrate . Soon after, he bought a BMW E36 Coupe as his first car, positive signs! But a heater core and sundry high mileage car issues have sidelined this progression. :( However, there is some hope, my oldest suggested he come by and help me get the old '78 F250 back up and running..hey, it's a start!;)

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do not subscribe to the writer's post of view.

Maybe I'm an outlier when it comes to discounting other aspects of automotive culture. I'm equally comfortable at a local Cars & Coffee/Cruise Nights to the Pebble Beach Concours. My parents & grandparent's encouraged me from birth to respect storied classics to modern marvels & everything in between. I understand the importance of encouraging kids from 5 & up, cars can be more than point A to B transportation. My 10-year old nephew Adam, is the first of 13 nieces & nephews, to be interested in cars this way. We talk often & interviewed me for a school project about Athena & called me excitedly, he'd received a 100%!

I try to meet interest with interest which can be trying at times with the 1914 KisselKar. Fielding the same questions for 37 years does wear on my patience. My favorite thing is letting kids climb on the running board to push the plunger on the door Klaxon then jump at the loud "AOOoooaahH!" then giggle. It reminds me of my youth when I did the same thing.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used to run a lot of Autocross in a Corrado VR6. I remember going to a few Porsche club events. There was an eccentric there with a High mile Chevy Celebrity V6 automatic wagon. It had junkyard Chrysler rims for the Offset advantages, sticky tires and lots of Negative camber. The guy could drive too. He beat most of the Porsches. They asked that he not return. I always thought that was pretty petty, as the guy was a real enthusiast who was into making junk work well.

These days I shake my head that kids are not into mobility freedom. In Canada I look at a car as a portable heated room suitable for eating meals in and changing ones location on demand. On Tuesday I am turning my very poor new car purchase mistake (21 Outback XT ) into hopefully launching my 2nd kid on the road to appreciating mobility, as he is getting a set of wheels he can call his own. It has a manual tranny too. I hope something takes hold with this investment.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
I used to run a lot of Autocross in a Corrado VR6. I remember going to a few Porsche club events. There was an eccentric there with a High mile Chevy Celebrity V6 automatic wagon. It had junkyard Chrysler rims for the Offset advantages, sticky tires and lots of Negative camber. The guy could drive too. He beat most of the Porsches. They asked that he not return. I always thought that was pretty petty, as the guy was a real enthusiast who was into making junk work well.

These days I shake my head that kids are not into mobility freedom. In Canada I look at a car as a portable heated room suitable for eating meals in and changing ones location on demand. On Tuesday I am turning my very poor new car purchase mistake (21 Outback XT ) into hopefully launching my 2nd kid on the road to appreciating mobility, as he is getting a set of wheels he can call his own. It has a manual tranny too. I hope something takes hold with this investment.

I traded in my 71 Porsche 914 after too many cops seemed attracted to it.:) Even then Porsche owners were total snobs. For car rallies in Ottawa, they would only man check points. I quit the club.

So I bought my ‘73 CS and never looked back.