Handbrake grip

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone know if its possible to get an original style handbrake grip? I ordered one from W and N years ago and it is incorrect and annoys me!

Regards,

Rohan

bengal taiga

Reaction score
I have not 2Xchecked this with the REALOEM, but I believe the grip is identical to the one used on the 02/1600/E3 and other cars of that vintage. In fact I think the arm/handbrake mechanism itself is also the same. At least that has been my experience.

If the grip is the same, as I believe it is, it is very inexpensive plastic, and you might be better served getting one from a newer albeit still old, model e.g., and E21 or E12. I know of one coupe (not mine) that sports the hand grip from a bicycle handlebar. My guess is that your W&N grip is an updated replacement.

The link to the E3 depicts a similar grip as available for the E3 sedan ($2.40 US): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=4512&mospid=47247&btnr=34_0893&hg=34&fg=30
Part number: 34411116435

The next link suggests the grip for a 73 2002 is also still available (same part number) Although it looks like it conforms to hand differently and is slightly different than the one depicted in the E3 diagram. (Probably the one you have) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2213&mospid=47140&btnr=34_0818&hg=34&fg=30

Have you tried the dealer, wrecking yard or Jaymic?

hth

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Item 4 of the first diagram is the original grip. Item 9 of the second has superseded the original. They are very different in feel and appearance. Thin,longitudinal splines on the original thin version vs. thick and molded to finger/grip for the newer version. While the later one is probably more "ergonomic", it is bulkier.

Are the original versions still available?

pmansson

Reaction score
The thin original handgrip is one of the things I never liked with the E9. Straight from the 2002, usually bent sideways, noticeable play in the rear mounting (which can be 80% fixed with Coupe King´s bearing kit).
My 2275xxx CSL has the later kind, for whatever reason? and it is so much nicer to grip and use.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Bengal, The one I have is from W and N and is as Glenn describes the later updated one - I much prefer the original type but I guess they areNLA and hard to remove so one would have to use the whole handbrake lever from a donor.

The later one definitely does not suit the cs cabin.

Thanks,

Rohan

cpeavey

Reaction score
The main problem with the later style grip is that it goes with a later style handbrake lever. The diameter of the end of the lever is different - significantly smaller than the E9/E3/2002 lever.

I bought one of the later style grips because my stock grip was looking pretty trashed - the plastic is soft and easily scarred. I don't mind the different style at all - I was used to it from owning an '80 E12 and I prefer it.

To install the later style grip on my handbrake lever I had to carefully bore out the inside with a large drill bit in my drill press - 3/4 in. IIRC. I believe I did it without power, just turning the grip on the drill bit. Even then I had to lubricate it to get it to slide on the lever. I don't know if I could get it off again!

Charlie

bengal taiga

Reaction score
The big Gripper

There must be recycling/wrecking/junk yards somewhere near you with 2002's sitting around. I would wager Jaymic also has a stash of brake handles hidden somewhere. Again, the grips were used by most 02's, neu klass vehicles as well as E9s and the E3 sedan versions. Stop thinking new and start thinking "old."

By the way, your best bet at removing the grip is not brute force - unless you want a split grip. Instead, direct sunlight on a warm day or perhaps even better would be the heat from a hair dryer. As you undoubtedly know, the grips were inexpensive and cheaply made. I have had several occasions to remove the grips (mostly with the intention of painting the handle assembly) and in the process, split no less than three different (used) grips.

Maybe you can find them on an E-bay near your or one of the 2002 clubs in Europa. If you spreken Aleman: These folks may be able to help you: http://www.bmw02-stolle.de/rennsport.php Then, there is always: http://www.jaymic.com/ But, since you were gonna ask anyway: spend some time perusing this list: http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/links/index.html

Good luck and tell us of your ultimate success!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just installed the later version yesterday and love it. Pulls up straighter too.
Installation was place in slow boiling water for 5 minutes and slip on with a small shot of wd-40 ....no problem.

Stefan

Reaction score
option?

Was a handbrake grip a buyers option? My car doesn't have a grip!?
Please add a picture of a handbrake with any kind of a rubber grip.