Happy Birthday Chris Ohmes

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, the anniversary of my 16th birthday. I began working at 14 1/2, saved my pennies, and a month before my birthday, acquired a dark green 1968 Plymouth Fury III. I cleaned and waxed and polished it multiple times in the weeks before my drivers test. I rolled over and over in my head the mantra that sustained me through that time in life (I wanna DRIVE!). I anxiously awaited the time when I could cruise, resplendant in my gleaming green and shining chrome, wherever my meager supply of gasoline would take me while actually piloting a vehicle by myself.

I'll never forget the joy of finally being able to drive (legally) all alone after I dropped my mom at home following my driving test. I drove past school and headed to Brown Deer Park. I cruised past the softball game with a keg on second base, past the swings with the kids flying high, and waved at Brian Fogas as he mowed the 18th Fairway of the golf course that ran along the park road. I left the park, and stopped to see Jim Anderson, who was working at a nearby gas station, and bought a dollar's worth of gas. Alas, it was then time to head home for dinner.

After waiting impatiently for my sister to arrive, wolfing down my food, and rudely jumping away from the table without helping with clean up, I was out the door. I jumped into my car and turned the key. Nothing happened. Turned again. Nada. Fortunatly for me, the Tool and Die Maker who lived across the street was outside working on his 1957 T bird, and took note of my problem. After a brief look under the hood, he provided a diagnosis. My starter solenoid had failed.

I checked the price of the part, and YES!!, I had enough money to cover it. But alas, I also had to pay my mom for the increased cost of car insurance now that I was on her policy. So, I had to wait ten days until my next paycheck to get the part. Longest ten days of my life.

Thanks gang for the kind words.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great story, obvious passion for mobility and earned pleasures and Happy Birthday.