Has anyone every built there own wheel cribs?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm considering it since I don't have a lift and get under my cars fairly often.

20200613_190032-jpg.406539

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I didn't pick up on the intended meaning of the term "cribs" until I opened the thread. Of course, it makes perfect sense now. And that photo is cool as all get out! I would think if properly put together, wood would serve this purpose quite adequately for the weight of a car.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I made a set out of 2x12 dimensional lumber. They are about 14” tall. I end up using them more as low scaffolds than as car stands.

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
I had thought about making some out of longer pieces of wood, with them cut on angle so you can drive the car up on them, no jacked required.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
here's what i made. The front boxes are a tad larger then the rears, so that the rears fit inside them when not in use.
basically not any different then what you can do with wood.

You can actually work on the suspension, if you locate the boxes on 3 points; for work on front suspension i set both rear wheels on the box + in the front one box under the crossmember. It is stable enough when the boxes (steel/wood) are at least 2 feet wide. I have no concern about it tipping over whatsoever. And my 6 year old climbs into the car like it's a playground...
20170603_131148.jpg
and here's one located under the rear diff:
20180404_214003.jpg

additional pic showing to have them laser leveled, as i wanted to weld the sills in with the car having it's mass on it's wheels. I hope this way i get better door shut lines when i'm all done.
20150809_234041.jpg
20150809_233450.jpg

You also see the small car lift that i have; it folds neatly flat when not i use so i can just park on top of it. But big disadvantage of it is that it a has thick massive beam running front to back; which is really close to the car when you lift it, making it impossible to work on gearbox , exhaust, guibo / drive shaft.

Last edited: