Has this happened to you?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Went to Seattle for a week, car (2011 335ix) was fine, I come home and hear a grinding noise while driving, pop off the wheel and find this. There was a little break in the plastic covering of the spring and a small patch of rust where it cracked. We have a 2007 X3, already replaced both rear springs which were broken also.

IMG_3752.JPG

We’ve had this happen on multiple German springs built on/after 2007. I believe this is partially due to the environmentally friendly coatings used on springs these days. In the late 2000’s there was a big push (globally) to remove hazardous substances from coatings. A powder coated spring is environmentally better because the powders are less toxic than traditional anti-corrosion paints.

Unlike an anti corrosion paint containing (ex. zinc chromate), once the plastic coating is compromised, it accelerates corrosion by holding moisture in against the underlying steel.

This is why I am not a fan of powder coating anything underneath the car. I’m redoing an Alfa and the front subframe and suspension components are painted with an anti-corrosion etching primer containing zine, followed by a urethane top coat. Scratches and rock strikes are handled by the primer via the std sacrificial zinc-salt process.

The next time you buy a German car, Robert, I suggest you remove the springs, strip them and repaint with somw better stuff.

I sure miss the original DuPont Variprime paint (1980-2000). That was some amazing sh*t. These days I use a zinc chromate etch/wash followed by a 2-part primer.

Yes! I have a 1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R that I got new 30 years ago. A couple of years ago I was parking on my block when I heard a loud bang from the left front corner and found that the coil spring had broken. It happens! I know a guy who had a set of stock springs so I got those from him and replaced the fronts.

Happened on the 1998 E36. The car was slightly hit from behind and both the bumper shock absorber and one of the springs broke. The spring was very rusty, which is weird. The car has no rust did the oxide come all the way from Germany.

Back