Hazard lights/switch stuck 'on'...

shanon

Reaction score
Hello Gruppe,

Had a chance to take out the Bav after a month of slumber and my Hazard lights were 'stuck on' when I started the car and during my errands. I tried various 'touches/pushes' to get the Hazard switch to turn off but was not successful. Lights go on and off properly when switch is depressed/activated.

It's seems like the switch is just not 'holding' the off position. I didn't have time to dive deep into a diag but wonder if the switched is worn out or if there is a simple fix. (shim it?)

TIA!
-shanon

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fiddly but doable. I had to do this fix twice before my switch behaved reliably.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Carefully unscrew the clear plastic lense partway, then screw it back in but not very tight. then roll a bit of a matchbook cover around the lense and push it back in

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Easy peasy…
CBEBB553-6F60-4F9B-9DF2-0C0C29235DF4.jpeg

mtiger_dds

Site Donor
Reaction score
The new switches aren't very reliable. I replaced mine within the last two years and as of the other day it no longer stays in the "off" position. I know I'm not the first person to bring up the "they don't make them like they used to" in regards to this switch. ;)

jmackro

Reaction score
There is a fix that takes a bit of effort, but gets around the problem of unreliable replacement switches. See my post #5 in the thread at: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/hazard-lights-switch-stuck-on.43697/ , which in turn has a pointer to this thread: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/re-emergency-flasher-switch.14525/#post-118133 where Arde, in post #15, suggests wiring the switch so that it is normally out, and only pushed in for 4-way flasher operation. That way, the switch will last forever, unless your car encounters a LOT of emergencies.

BorgBmw

Reaction score
This has happened to me twice. I fixed both and have an extra in stock for next time.