Hazy Gauge

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a very odd occurence on my 1972 e9. If after the car has been sitting in the garage shen it's started if I let it sit and idle for a period of time (15, 30 minutes) my temperature and fuel gauge will develop a hazy spot on the inside center of the gauge lens. After being driven for a bit the haze disperses as if I had turned on a defroster, has anyone seen this before and what's that all about?

Thanks, Doug

JhwShark

Reaction score
1st thoughts would be some condensation...the car warms, cold moist something (that is what would need to be solved) condenses in dash gauge as car warms more it evaporates...

The repeatable offender needs a solution, is there any leak from windshield or rust impingement under dash allowing water in. Or, possibly heater core/parts compromised??

Jon

Stefan67

Reaction score
leaky gauge - same

I have the same issue, same gauge. My windshield used to leak slightly on the passenger side, but that has been fixed for some time, but the gauge still is hazy, esp on colder mornings.

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
1st thoughts would be some condensation...the car warms, cold moist something (that is what would need to be solved) condenses in dash gauge as car warms more it evaporates...

The repeatable offender needs a solution, is there any leak from windshield or rust impingement under dash allowing water in. Or, possibly heater core/parts compromised??

Jon

My thoughts exactly, the windshield did leak many years ago but that has long since been repaired. It's as dry as a bone in the area I can't figure it out.

Doug

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My combo gauge only gets condensation when it is cold out and it disappears after 15 minutes or so. I have no leaks anywhere and had cleaned all of the gauges when I had my speedo repaired. I just ignore it now.

JhwShark

Reaction score
Maybe just higher relative humidity in your area combined with the sealing quality of the gauges allows the moisture in...

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Foggy Gauge

Maybe just higher relative humidity in your area combined with the sealing quality of the gauges allows the moisture in...

Well, I'm from North Carolina and high humidity is part and parcel of of living here year round. I guess what really confuses me is that it's only the one gauge.

When I was restoring the car I pulled all of the instruments and sent them to Nichols Instrument Service to be dismantled and cleaned. The clock was not working so I had that fixed, when the instruments returned they looked like new.

I had driven the car very little before I started the restoration I don't recall seeing the haze forming then, who knows...it's just another e9 mystery, I've owned the car for 25 years and I love it, nuff said.

Doug

pmansson

Reaction score
I have that happen on several of my coupes, from time to time.
Exactly as Chris writes.
No leaks, all instruments serviced.
Always just the multi instrument to the left.

The sad thing is that on at least one car, the moisture has left tiny stains on the inside of the glass, just where the droplets were before drying up/away. Pity as the glass was meticulously cleaned on the inside while being serviced.