Headers for BMW E9

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello members,
Im looking for a set of 'used' headers for my CSL. Yes I know that Ireland has em' and not too expensive but I thought I'd check the board before. Anyone tried that header and has anyone had the ceramic coating done and if so, how much heat reduction does it bring? Stahl has em too, but far more expensive. thanks. Keshav

shanon

Reaction score
hello there,

I had a set of used 'crusty' headers that I sent off Jet-Hot Coatings and am very, very pleased with the results. Don't have a pyrometer, but the headers seem MUCH cooler and they look terriffic, even the insides are smoother and coated too!

There has been no discoloration (even after #2 tube went red hot briefly, but that's another story) or chipping (installed on two different motors).

Jet-Hot has order tracking and my order was turned around quickly and shipped very nicely. Process was very organized.

Not a plug for Jet-Hot per say, just a satisfied customer that will do it again without hesitation on all future projects. May not be 'factory correct' in look, but the increased lifespan and flow were worth it in my book. Around $200+USD if I recall for both headers, they will quote your project for you. They'll even send a video/DVD about the process.

just my 2 cents & HTH.
-shanon
'70 2800cs (very manipulated resto-mod)

CookeD

Reaction score
Hey Shanon,

I've been thinking about having my headers coated also, and am wondering what the turn-around time ended up being for you?

BTW-- What color did you choose for the coating?

TIA,

John

AndyM

Reaction score
Just a tip -- make sure you fit the headers to the car before getting them coated. I bought a set from Bavarian Autosport already coated -- they're nice quality and fit okay out of the box, but we still needed to massage a few of the tubes to get a perfect fit -- and the coating did not take too kindly to the acetelene torch in a few spots. If I had it to do over, I would've bought them raw, fit them, then sent them off to Jet-Hot.

shanon

Reaction score
If I recall the entire process was less than two weeks (Incl. S&H both directions, SF to their AZ plant), I think it can be expedited for extra $$.

As for the color, headers are shiny and silver in color now, don't recall a choice when I did it, but maybe they offer choices now.

AndyM's tip is a good one, my headers were used so they fit very well and bolted right up after the Jet-Hot process.

-shanon

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Headers

Shannon, do you have an extra set of headers that you might want to sell or anyone else on the board? thanks. Keshav
I have located a company in Germany that also does the ceramic coating.