Headers

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a set installed in my coupe, but unfortunately don't have a lot of feedback for you yet. My coupe is still being "dialed in," so I can't tell you anything about performance, but my mechanic didn't have any issues with fitment. As soon as the coupe is running properly, I will post let everyone know the results. Here's a picture of how they look; note: they are ceramic coated.

Attachments

• WP_000057.jpg
    WP_000057.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 236

61porsche

Reaction score
Pamp,

I've only heard good things. I've got a set of Stahls that came with my car and my only comment on that is to wrap the collector area under the passenger side for heat which translates to rust also.

They sure look nice ceramic coated.

All the best....:)

TodB

Reaction score
There are not many vendors left selling headers for the M30 motors. Bavauto recently announced they were getting out of the biz when their stock runs out and I believe Stahl is not taking any more orders either. I believe they are one in the same.

Ireland sells them but I am not sure of the quality.

Coupeking sells a set but they sound pricey.

There is also a shop out of AUS who sells them, Motorsports Downunder which look pretty good.

I'd be curious to know what you did with your install after the headers. Did you increase the pipe size or just plumb them onto the OEM?

61porsche

Reaction score
Blue Light special

From Stahl's site;

Slightly used, but can't beat the price- $150. vs a grand new.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/Inventory sale drag.htm

They are the smaller diameter for more stock/ torque application but maybe someone here wants them. Lightly blast and ceramic coat and you've got a deal.( Might have to purchase a flange kit or so.)

Good luck to some lucky person!:-D

pamp

Reaction score
Headers / Exhaust

For sure I have been googling far and wide and found most of the above mentioned vendors.
Missed the Stahl's and yes that sounds good for someone wanting to retain stock components
I am in the research phase at this point. IE's headers are 1 5/8'' three into a 2'' collector and are constructed of mild steel. From there I will need to fab. I suppose there are a few ways to go...Header outlets to a 2 X 2 1/2" Y (I want a good spot for a bung) and then mufflers and pipe to run 2 1/4'' all the way. Or possibly an X to merge the outlets, then to a two inlet and one out center can, running all 2'' and finishing after the rear can to 2 1/4'' to maintain a bit more back pressure and to have a good selection of tips to choose from. On that subject, will 1 5/8'' primary tubes be excessive for a relatively stock 3.3 motor w/ D-jet? I best search for posts "back pressure" as I recall this one being discussed before...
Walter... it sure would be nice if you had photos from under the car if at all possible, I would be forever grateful.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sometimes I get a laugh out of what people do with their cars- I just finished a 318i suspension upgrade to the M3 stuff,,, this in Alameda CA [the "Island City" ] where the speed limit on the island is 25mph. Last year was a 745i turbo that got a 3" exhaust and it needed to have a reducer installed so that it got enough torque back so that it could drive up into the hills of Oakland. Headers are great if you drive hard and not so great for most drivers. Can you imagine a 3.0 US car with an automatic running headers? ouch...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The item you want is the wide band at the other end..

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sometimes I get a laugh out of what people do with their cars- I just finished a 318i suspension upgrade to the M3 stuff,,, this in Alameda CA [the "Island City" ] where the speed limit on the island is 25mph. Last year was a 745i turbo that got a 3" exhaust and it needed to have a reducer installed so that it got enough torque back so that it could drive up into the hills of Oakland. Headers are great if you drive hard and not so great for most drivers. Can you imagine a 3.0 US car with an automatic running headers? ouch...

I just put Bilsteins on a 318i, hope that is reasonable. Whatever it had from the factory was old and worn.

But the same laughs can be had at any human endeavor, from the fancy bicycles and attire that people use to pedal a couple of miles in Los Gatos, four cylinder motor bikes, 7 seat SUV used for a one person commute, off-road vehicles with leather interiors, friends that get a mini-van when their first child is born because they need a "family" car. I used to approach Hummer owners and tell them that they should be driving their vehicles in Iraq, but I have mellowed out and now I keep my vile to myself and this board.

rb1971

Reaction score
I used to approach Hummer owners and tell them that they should be driving their vehicles in Iraq, but I have mellowed out and now I keep my vile to myself and this board.

I rented an SUV a few years ago to go up to the snow, and when I got to the rental lot the only thing they had left with AWD of any kind was an H3. Ugh. I begged them to give me something else, but no love.

As I was driving back to my house in SF to load up my ski stuff, a guy on an expensive road bike in one of those Lance-a-like outfits stopped beside me at a red light, banged on the passenger window and yelled "Environmental disaster, man!" (Totally not making this up. Way to be an SF stereotype buddy.) I wondered for a second if running over a carbon fiber bike would also be an environmental disaster. Of course, the funny thing was that it wasn't even my car, and I think it even had a sticker on the back identifying it as a rental.

The other funny thing was it actually got slightly better gas mileage than the similar Chevy product I'd had 2 or 3 weeks earlier on the exact same route.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used to approach Hummer owners and tell them that they should be driving their vehicles in Iraq, but I have mellowed out and now I keep my vile to myself and this board.

I rented an SUV a few years ago to go up to the snow, and when I got to the rental lot the only thing they had left with AWD of any kind was an H3. Ugh. I begged them to give me something else, but no love.

The H3 was a GM SUV trying to exploit the Hummer brand. I meant the military style H1.
Nothing against military vehicles, just that these suburban drivers were poseurs, if you want to drive a military vehicle do that in a military theater...

Apologize for the digression...

pamp

Reaction score
Stahl Headers

Some shots of Stahl headers as installed on the M30, assembly freshly dropped from the e9,
courtesy of Carl Bennett @ Korman BMW...
m30hdr.jpg

pamp

Reaction score
Stahl Headers

Some shots of Stahl headers as installed on the M30, assembly freshly dropped from the e9,
courtesy of Carl Bennett @ Korman BMW...
m30hdr.jpg

m30hdr2.jpg

m30hdr3.jpg