Headlight Cunundrum

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Putting aside the issue of the little plastic grommets that of course, broke being only 50 years old and for which I found excellent replacement, these headlights are still driving me nuts.
First off, when I disassembled them, there was NO spring as in the one on the 2002 headlights and as shown on a prior thread. Question, is there a spring on the E3? The parts catalog does not show any.
Secondly, I assume all the carriers(the silver things ) are the same as I have not been able to distinguish any difference. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Third, do the little knobs on the lights fit in the recesses on the carriers? They do fit somewhat,(actually two of the three fit )but it turns out my lights are upside down, no matter how I manipulate them .
The new H4 lens clearly says Top, which, after assembly is upside down. The sealed bright beam is also askew. While they fit and appear to be adjustable, they offend my sense of rightness. Perhaps they are not correctly set on the carriers? I however, cannot see how they go any other way, and I have tried many iterations.

Attachments

• IMG_1646.jpeg
    IMG_1646.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1647.jpeg
    IMG_1647.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1651.jpeg
    IMG_1651.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1651.jpeg
    IMG_1651.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1648.jpeg
    IMG_1648.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 51

E3AV

Reaction score
I just recently refurbished the headlight carriers on mine. Didnt take any pictures, but I used theese pictures from an ebay ad when putting them together.
IMG_0799.jpeg
IMG_0800.jpeg

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good pictures and I see springs. Did you have any issues with the lights facing correctly up and down?

E3AV

Reaction score
Didnt have any problem. I have H1 Hella lights for both low and high as the carriers are also Hella. The same carriers as you have. There are also another style of carriers for E3/E9 with long white adjustment screws on the back.
Maybe there is some difference between the 2 types and the headlight inserts? Bosch vs Hella or other brands.
Note the two different types of holders (the silver piece) and the orientation of theese in the carriers.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Putting aside the issue of the little plastic grommets that of course, broke being only 50 years old and for which I found excellent replacement, these headlights are still driving me nuts.
First off, when I disassembled them, there was NO spring as in the one on the 2002 headlights and as shown on a prior thread. Question, is there a spring on the E3? The parts catalog does not show any.
Secondly, I assume all the carriers(the silver things ) are the same as I have not been able to distinguish any difference. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Third, do the little knobs on the lights fit in the recesses on the carriers? They do fit somewhat,(actually two of the three fit )but it turns out my lights are upside down, no matter how I manipulate them .
The new H4 lens clearly says Top, which, after assembly is upside down. The sealed bright beam is also askew. While they fit and appear to be adjustable, they offend my sense of rightness. Perhaps they are not correctly set on the carriers? I however, cannot see how they go any other way, and I have tried many iterations.
I just recently refurbished the headlight carriers on mine. Didnt take any pictures, but I used theese pictures from an ebay ad when putting them together.View attachment 164885View attachment 164884

there in #119….

chope97

Reaction score
There is a difference between the early and later e3. The models with the different rear light have a different front headlight carrier. I have owned both cars and there is a difference. I have both hanging in my basement for what reason I do not know lol:)

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is a difference between the early and later e3. The models with the different rear light have a different front headlight carrier. I have owned both cars and there is a difference. I have both hanging in my basement for what reason I do not know lol:)
How did you get both cars to hang in the basement?

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe I have it mostly resolved. The only outstanding issue is whether the nubs or nipples on the glass lenses fit into any of the recesses on the carrier. On my 2002 they certainly did and that made them straight up and down carries look the same on all four but I have my doubts.