Headlight Restoration Question

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As I was dissembling headlights I broke 4 of the small plastic nuts that the adjustment screws go into. As I was searching for non-existent replacements I noticed a different set up with longer yellowish plastic adjusters instead of the metal ones on mine.

I'm wondering if:
1. Can you purchase or does anyone have any spare plastic nuts in picture
2. Are the longer plastic screws available and interchangeable with my metal ones if I pull out the metal tabs that hold them?
3. Are the light buckets the same or have they changed over the years and if I want to switch to long plastic adjusters do I need to find new metal light buckets?
4. Anything else I might be missing or threads about this issue I might have missed?

Thanks!

IMG_3636.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.45.54 AM.png
IMG_3640.jpeg
IMG_3691.jpeg
IMG_3709.jpeg

I'm not sure but I think there's probably a way to use something like this, maybe even a nut on either side or nut and rubber washer if alternatives are not available,.

As near as I can tell, the 2800CS came with the metal screw and the 3.0CS had the larger plastic with a small bolt in the bucket frame. Someone has some old rusty buckets where you could harvest these. The parts book is not entirely clear here.

Thanks Chris that's very helpful. I think I might have read that somewhere but was confused as mine is a 73' and wasn't sure why it had the older metal versions. I'll keep digging.

These are commonly found in a good hardware stores (in their specialty hardware bins). They will likely be US sized but can be used with a bit of trimming. I’ve used these in a pinch in both Italian and German cars.

@BavarianCream,

You can always tack weld on a nut to the front of the frame. JB Weld would do it also.

As far as the knobs go, My 2800CS has the black knobs also, and the CSI donor had the white plastic thumb nuts. They are identical to the white knobs found on the tails, and interchangeable in fact. (Edit: Incorrect, HL thumb wheels appear to come in black and white, but the white are different from the TL thumb nuts)

The result of this won’t be people using the tail nuts for the HL’s, it will be using HL nuts for the tails. :D

‘71 2800 CS (note the whitetail light knob)
27B10F95-DF14-46CC-BDB2-AE28A5CEE300.jpeg

‘73 CSI
7CB0D394-FDD9-413D-8B26-61D46567DA40.jpeg

Last edited:
@Markos thanks for the pics and explanation, although still a bit confused with the last pick of the long white adjuster. Is that something that's still available too?

@Markos thanks for the pics and explanation, although still a bit confused with the last pick of the long white adjuster. Is that something that's still available too?

These are the long thumb nuts that @HB Chris is referring to. Also #2 question in your first post. They should be interchangeable, but that is not the problem area for you.

I think that your best option is to use what you have and secure a nut where the old plastic parts go. From what I gather, there are at least three distinct designs. In the first iteration (yours) the knob is fixed to a screw. Turning the knob/screw a pushes against the bucket, steel to steel.

In the second and third iteration. The stud is secured to the bucket, and the long plastic thumb nut floats under spring tension, and moves the bucket in and out.

Iteration 2 and 3 (not sure which order):
8017825E-784A-4C3C-B05D-4AE3F6211376.jpeg
6A774895-8B74-4CE3-BE91-3D9C24D2B000.jpeg

Markos, The tail light ‘nut‘ is not a bolt which is what is used on the head light though.

Thanks I am aware that the tails use studs. The plastic thumb wheels are the same
though. (Edit: Incorrect, HL thumb wheels appear to come in black and white, but the white are different from the TL thumb nuts)

C8B4E52E-26F6-48B9-BA58-186A3BB1F4C3.jpeg

1D616FCD-ED73-4FB5-AF61-E6C3E81BAFCE.jpeg

Last edited:
This is where we usually agree to disagree, tail light nuts are not as large and aren’t recessed to hold the bolt.

Except the 02 uses a small rectangular plastic nut that this unit replaces, not the larger e9 snap in nut. Does it require some modification?

Thanks everyone this is super helpful. Just looked at the Ireland Engineering site and I think this is what Rick is referring to and looks like it should work perfect. New screws and bolts that should also work I think although Bfeng's suggested plastic nut too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 4.14.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 4.14.08 PM.png
    236.7 KB · Views: 122
Thanks Rick, that's very kind. If you can't find them I think I now have several other options too but appreciate your efforts.

Back