Headliner: Can the back end be repaired instead of replaced?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My car is done painting but we noticed during the process that, even though the headliner is generally is very good condition, when the rear window was taken out, the glued seam came undone and the back third was sagging. (See pics). I was originally planning on simply getting some Wurth glue and re-glueing it before the rear window went back in but then I realized now would be the perfect time to try and secure that back third to the roof so it doesn't sag anymore. The sunroof zipper looks tired but there is no tear. There is all kinds of dried foam that seems to be present in the sagging section so all of a sudden, Im starting to think "Oh no... should I completely remove the whole thing and reinstall it with new foam and glue?" After doing some searching here and looking at the work involved I definitely don't want to do that myself so having an upholstery shop do it is the only choice.

But there are several problems with that. The main one being that, after having had to totally strip down and repaint the car, the bank account has being equally stripped down and is pretty much empty. And then, I would have to find a trailer and a truck to pull it, tow the car to the upholstery shop, wait for it to be done, then get another truck and trailer to tow it back home. Given the huge amount of other work (and expenses) that are still coming up for this car I wonder if there might be a simpler and cheaper Repair option rather then Complete Remove and Reinstall.

It is possible to try and scrape as much of the dried foam that can be accessed (see pics) and then use a headliner spray glue/foam type of thing to make sure it stays up there for at least 10 years? Or is there no real alternative to taking it all off and coughing another thousand dollars on something 99% of people will never even see?

Attachments

• IMG_6065.jpg
    IMG_6065.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6067.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpg
    856.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6069.jpg
    IMG_6069.jpg
    968.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6071.jpg
    IMG_6071.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6073.jpg
    IMG_6073.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6074.jpg
    IMG_6074.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
Bo
That is a good looking headliner. I would certainly try to save it.
On the 2800CS there is a flexed board that the back edge of the headliner is wrapped over and glued to.
Was the back edge on yours tucked under the seal? Hard for me to tell from the pics. If so can you pull it and glue it to where the seal will cover?
Dan

Thanks, Dan. I believe it was simply wrapped and glued around that sheet metal section that gets covered by the rear window seal.
So, yes, I could simply do that. But I would like to be able to do some thing about the sagging that is on that aft section before gluing it and putting the rear window back in

Bo:
Might not be the right thing but I would use either Harbor Freight plastic clamps or paper binder clamps then start in the middle and work both ways to see how it looks before gluing. Then start gluing at the middle first. Might need to stretch and tuck loose pieces at the pillar. I used steam to shrink mine a little and take some wrinkles out.
Was the last section glued to something? As I mentioned the 2800CS had a thin curved board that the headliner was wrapped around.
I am sure someone more familiar with your year and model will chime in.
Good luck.
Dan

i knew that sunroof coupes didn't have the hard panel at the top of the rear windshield, but i didn't realize that there weren't any metal rods . interesting, thanks

It will drive you nuts every time you look in the rear view mirror. You have a choice between refitting it and saving your sanity or moving to Ma where nobody knows or cares what a rear view mirror is for.

The rear wind shield can be removed and the headliner put into place and then the glass re-installed. Applying the gasket and then the aluminum trim, then fitting with the rope maneuver took bfeng and I about an hour to do.

Perhaps I am spoiled but I bought headliner , gave my old one to a young guy who does headliners, he cut it, found the right zipper and then YES WAIT FOR IT....came to the house with all his stuff and we reinstalled it together. Cost was under 400 for everything. He did recover the actual sunroof portion also.

Back