Headliner/fabric adhesive

Bwana

Reaction score
Any suggestions on something that can be brushed on? I've got gobs of the yellow 3M stuff but there are a couple of places on my e39 down at the bottom of the windshield and rear window that are coming loose. No way to mask off the area so I'm trying to find something I can brush on both surfaces with a fine brush

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Typically Wurth is good for that, I think the e39 has a completely removable headliner (with the molded board) you could take the whole thing off and redo it outside the car if I'm correct? I have never done that but I have heard that it's not too difficult.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I restored the headliner in my MB 560SEC a few years ago, I used a high temperature 3M spray to bond the fabric to the hardboard. It held up well for the additional 4 or 5 years I had the car.

I completely removed the headliner system, carefully removed the fabric from the hardboard using 3M Adhesive Remover where needed, removed old adhesive, sprayed the hardboard and re-bonded the fabric. As I recall, I sprayed/re-bonded about 8-10 inches at a time, back to front.

There was either a write-up or YouTube description of that process available when I did it.

Gary

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bwana -- just so you know, the problem with your fabric is a conflict between the adhesive BMW used originally and the use of Windex. I have reglued several spots on my e39.