Headliner header stripping

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am in the early stages of refurbishing the interior of my '74 sunroof coupe. The shop that is installing the new headliner is hesitant to remove the vinyl from the headliner header for fear of damaging the header. Can I just use a heat gun and slowly peel the vinyl away or is there a better way to remove the vinyl?

Thanks,

Jake

is it torn or damaged? have you thought about cleaning / repainting with SEM color coat? i guess it would depend on how different the material is from the new headliner

I used the material from SF Don's guy (Mario) and glued it over the original. It turned out correctly. The original vinyl is very thin and I don't think it will come off the old foam without ruining the header.

Hi Scott,
The header itself is in good shape. I did consider cleaning it but thought it might be better to just replace. I think I'll try to clean it first and see how it turns out.

Thanks,

Jake

Hi Peter,
I had also thought about just covering the existing vinyl as you suggest. Did you need to vacuum seal the new layer or did you just glue it over the old layer?

Thanks,

Jake

Ahh, now I see why you are looking for visor clips. I am in the same boat, any attempt to remove the visor clips will destroy them. I plan on repainting with SEM to match the new headliner coloring and save the clips. Cleaning only got me half way.

Keep in mind that W&N sells new headers. Run the numbers before you proceed.

Hi Markos,
I completely missed that. I'll look again but when I looked through I didn't see them at all. Wouldn't be the first time

Thanks,

Jake

Hi Markos,
I completely missed that. I'll look again but when I looked through I didn't see them at all. Wouldn't be the first time

Thanks,

Jake

Hi @NightOwl,

Per our private discussion, neither of us can find this headliner kit. Check with @zinz as he may still have the invoice from the one he sold. I suggest shooting them an email.

8FF3F244-6540-4931-910D-6758F9B5D187.jpeg

Back