Headliner install?

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Greetings coupsters-

I am about ready to replace the windshield, dashboard wood and headliner in my 2800. I just need to get instruments back from freshening before I will be ready to proceed. I have done many projects on my cars, and enjoy the process, but I would be working alone.

Is it dumb to attempt these by myself?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Glenn,

It is a lot of work. Door seals, door trim pieces, rear quarter window trim, rear windshield all come out. Definitely doable but it will take some time to do.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
not impossible to do. did mine by myself over the summer. read up as much as you can before you get started but go in knowing that no matter how much you read, you can only be but so prepared. A lot of it is common sense, but it is tedious work. Also varying degrees of difficulty depending on whether you have a sunroof or not.

Having done it once, i'd say i could probably do it perfectly the next time. I have a sunroof car so the DIY stickies are even fewer and there were a handful of special conditions that no matter how much i read, i couldn't have been prepared for. Ended up coming out looking pretty snazzy save for a few wrinkles along the zipper area (more a function of the material than install) and around the dome light. I think non sunroof installs are probably a ton easier given you don't have to deal with tacking and stretching the material in multiple directions around the roof opening.

Tips.

.get the super high tack 3m adhesive. the off brands dont work as well.

.buy both large and small clips for fixing the headliner material along the window openings. The larger clips are stonger but the smaller clips give you more surface area contact around the curved sections.

.measure 4 times before you cut :).

.if in the process of doing the work, you are unsure about a step or nervous about screwing up, take a break, think it through and come back to it with a clear mind. Its the kind of job you want to think 2 or 3 steps ahead on.

Have fun!

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
More tips:
1. 3M 1357 headliner cement is great, but can be difficult to source (blue spruce has it, but won't ship to CA).
2. Careful use of heat gun will relieve most minor wrinkles, but be very careful not to "glaze" the material.
3. The measurements are linear, check previous posts where I posted the pages from my notebook, or just check the headliner section of vranedom.com.