Headliner & roof insulation

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Need some help here guys,
I have to remove the headliner from my non sunroof car and have searched for information on same but can't find much on taking it out, there's some on installing some that will come in handy later. Car is stripped ready for paint so no glass in the way.

Secondly, can I put Dynamat inside the roof? It says not to be mounted horizontally. If I can, can I also use it under the bonnet?

Cheers. John

decoupe is pointing you in the right direction. Dynamat can detach from the roof skin in high heat situations and end up on your new headliner. Lizard skin or spray on products like lizard skin work great, the key however is following the manufacturer's instructions. It is all about the prep work and readying the surface for adhesion.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought may happen and that would be a royal pita.

Now I just need a walk through on the removal process without destroying the trim to get the headlining out. Someone must have done this on a strip down.

Cheers. John

headliner

Hi John

headliner is fairly straightforward to remove, all chrome around the edges and screens need to be removed first

pick back the edge of the headliner from the front windscreen aperture and peel it all away from the edge and then from the two sides as far as you can.

as you go rearwards you will encounter the headliner support rods that span from side to side and have the headliner stitched around them in a pocket

just put your fingers between the headliner and the roof edge and get hold of the rods and push them toward the centre of the car. they will then pop out of their retaining holes at the roof edge

keep going toward the rear until you have all the rods out

at the back above the rear screen you will now find a thin sheet of ply that the rear edge of the headliner is attached to. it is fixed to the roof edges with screws, take the screws out and the headliner is out

regards

Mark

Thanks Mark,
I'll give it a go later today, front has a panel that holds dome light and sun visors and looks to have two small rivets in press weld of roof, don't want to cause any damage to 40 year old parts so I am going slowly.

Cheers John

This is exactly what i've been trying to figure out....struggling to get those support rods out and didn't know how to do it. Will try pushing them towards center tomorrow like you advise. thanks!!

Hi John

headliner is fairly straightforward to remove, all chrome around the edges and screens need to be removed first

pick back the edge of the headliner from the front windscreen aperture and peel it all away from the edge and then from the two sides as far as you can.

as you go rearwards you will encounter the headliner support rods that span from side to side and have the headliner stitched around them in a pocket

just put your fingers between the headliner and the roof edge and get hold of the rods and push them toward the centre of the car. they will then pop out of their retaining holes at the roof edge

keep going toward the rear until you have all the rods out

at the back above the rear screen you will now find a thin sheet of ply that the rear edge of the headliner is attached to. it is fixed to the roof edges with screws, take the screws out and the headliner is out

regards

Mark

windscreens need to be out, the edge of the headliner needs to fold over the screen aperture edge and then the screen rubbers go over this edge

mark

IIRC, there are no support rods in the sunroof'd coupe. So you don't have to worry about them. Make sure you have a few beers on hand while doing the headliner....a lot of labor.

Back