headliner/window trim/sunroof

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Tryin to get the headliner out to replace it and fix sunroof.Can't seem to pry off chrome window trim above inside door.Does weatherstripping have to come off first?Back piece came out OK.Any suggestions on tools or techniques? Sunroof motor runs,little gearbox turns,cables move but sunroof doesn't.Can 'roof be removed when it's in the closed position?Car is a '74.Thank-you.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul,

Yes, you must remove the weatherstripping to expose the screws that hold the trim in place above the doors. The trim is actually two layers. You need only remove the outer layer. Please check out: http://www.vranedom.com/interiorglasstrim/interiorglasstrim.html
The image below shows the screws:

P7060002.jpg

jcmodern

Reaction score
I'm also in the process of replacing my headliner, it's a bear of a job. Fortunatey I thought long and hard about how to get the best results when glueing up. I have some experience bending plywood veneers in vacuum presses, but I don't own one. The same principals used in molded veneers are well suited to glueing up headliners, particularly the front molded piece. Instead of dropping $200 on a professional vacuum press, I purchsed some vacuum storage bags for clothing. They work great, no clamps, no bubbles and you can still work the pieces when in the bag. You can find them on ebay, bed bath and beyond and late night t.v.