Heat in the cockpit????

Upset99

Reaction score
Even with the Heat off, I can feel the heat in the car. In old posts, I read that someone suggested instaling a three way solenoid and bypassing the heater core during the hot weather. Has anyone actually done this?

BTW, I live in South Texas where the heat....is bad. Luckily, the AC works well for a 1974 3.0cs but ....it was never designed for 100 degree weather.

Kevin
Republic of Texas

Is your firewall to hood molding intact? When I got my coupe it was missing this seal. As a result hot air from the engine would simply blow over the firewall and into the main cabin fan intake. I purchased a general purpose press on seal from JC Whitney and now the hot air does not come through. This weekend Antar and I got together and I installed the same on his coupe (it also missing on his). This is the simple problem / cure. Of course there are other possibilities like the heater core being stuck on / open.

If memory serves me correctly there is no coolant valve in the heater thus hot water is always present. (Unless the valve is in the heater box..... On a 2002 the valve is external)
The ingress of cool air is done by flaps in the heater box.
It is possible that the foam rubber seals around the flaps have disappeared over the years and or they are no completely closing.

Its a real pain to get the heater box in and out without demolishing most of the dash so a diverting valve sounds a good idea.
An E28 5 series with A/c has such a valve, bypassing the heater core and "Teeing" back into the return line from the heater. It is an electrically controlled solenoid type valve. You could probably find one in a scrap car.

Malc

Back