heater by-pass valve for a CS

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi,

taking the initiative that has been conducted wisely for a CSI version, i found almost impossible to accomodate that solution in a CS engine

so i am paving my way to my own solution

i have found a bypass electric valve that can do the work, but i need to know one sutile detail, the sense of circulation of coolant in the circuit

i mean, i would like to know if the coolant:

a) is coming from the engine rear head (cylinder Nº 6) and entering the heater, and then exits the heater and enters into the intake manifold chamber

b) is coming form the intake manifold, enters the heater, and exits the heater towards the engine head (rear side)

can anyone help ?

i guess the right one is the a), but i am not sure

regards

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That connects up to the thermostat housing after passing through the carbs, near the other hose that goes to the radiator, perhaps inspection there will determine the flow, but my guess is also a).

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Part Number

Can you post a part number or picture of the valve you're using? Couldn't you also put a T into each line before it hits the firewall so that when both are closed it would create the bypass? This would leave you with two valves to turn on and off and whether manual or electric, would be fairly straight forward to flip. 1 valve would certainly be more elegant but might end up taking up more bulk.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
not very easy, the available space is so limited...

yesterday i placed the valve into its position, it went well, but i am afraid of the needed space for the curves of the hoses

now, i really need someone that can positively say if the coolant sense is a) or b)

it is a go/nongo issue, and it affects the design so much that could make this impossible

yes you can use a lot of hardware and two valves and two "T" pieces, but that is not a dequincey signature, if possible i will try the neat and tidy way (if possible)

regards,

help wanted,...please

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Put a section of clear hose on for just a moment and see for yourself. I'd like to know...

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why cant you pull off the hoses from the heater core and run the car for a couple seconds to see ? It seems you should be able to tell almost instantly.

I also tried the valve solution offered for the CSi and found that the CS doesnt have enough room too. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

-D