Heater Fan Cover Color and Patina

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
What was the original color of this and of the articulating arm set up for the wipers? Was it gloss or other. I am redoing mine so want to restore it to OEM.

IMG_1255.JPG

here's a pic of how the wiper mechanism came out of my car. Two of the parts on my car were actually matt black over clear zinc, so that would be different to what HB Chris describes. My car has been restored partly before, so it could be a PO's rattle can action.

- large frame black,
- long 50 cm (1,5 foot) round rod clear zinc.
- short u profiled rod ( 15 cm 1/2 foot) matt black paint over clear zinc,
- plates with pivoting pins clear zinc.
- short (5 cm 2 inch) bend steel plate, with 1 ball & other side mounting to motor: matt black paint over clear zinc.

Attachments

• 20200615_013015.jpg
    20200615_013015.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 130
edit: repair manual shows indeed bright zinc parts for the ones that are covered in black paint in my car: HB Chris was right, as always.
1598451041749.png

And no wiper motor cover by the way, I thought that was e9 std part as well. ...

Last edited:
BOB!
Wait, stop!!
You are destroying 47 years of history and irrecoverable patina!
;-)

Last edited:
@bavbob,

Didn't realize you are doing the whole thing. I have a complete e3 linkage if you need anything else. I'm keeping the motor, the M16x1.0 shafts, and the splined wiper mounts.

FWIW, the e3 linkage is different from the e9. That includes the little ball and socket pivots that actually move the wipers. The parts that I'm keeping are the transferable bits...

Dave, as I was a Chem Eng, always wondered if there was a kid named Billy Rubin or a women named Ethyl Formate.

Markos, thank you but no it is just the one bushing, I have all the rest.

Cover was done and installed and then John comes along and says "that thing is pitted, why don't you use primer-filler on it". So I have and must say, the stuff works well. Ready to repaint so wanted to get it right since it was gloss. John is keeping me honest on this restoration.

Back