Heater / motor rebuild: A little project on my horizon

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi all, I found this article in the tech section that looks pretty old - it describes how to replace the motor in the coupe heater assembly.

http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/message057.html

My heater blower is very weak (and sticks if not used for a while) so it's going to need similar treatment, plus no doubt while it's all apart it would be prudent to renew the heater core, gaskets and insulation etc.

I wondered if any of my E9 compadres in colder climates have done this job, what did you use for replacement motor, when can I get the parts etc. ?

David, the fan motor may just need a service if it's actually still working which is cheaper than replacing (about 200 euros from W&N ). The heater core is NLA and I was recently quoted equivalent of some US$300+ here in OZ for Custom made. I was fortunate in obtaining second-hand heater box from an E3 that is pretty much identical to E9 ;the core was pristine . It's worthwhile replacing the foam gaskets etc and also using neoprene where appropriate as it makes a significant difference to efficiency in directing airflow . Cheers, Simon

Has anyone documented dismantling and servicing / restoring one of these heater units as Simon indicates, with pictures?

Back