Heater panel lights

pmansson

Reaction score
I just replaced the 1,2W bulbs, while doing some other maintenance work on top of and to the side of the heater box. The lights work, but the light is very unevenly distributed across the two layers of levers. Is this quite normal or are there some light chanels which are clogged, or yet some other issue?

Someone should confirm the specifics, but I do not think that the lighted heater panel showed up until 1973, at earliest. The panel out of my '72 was not fitted with lights. The panel out of my '74 had a lighted panel. The non-lighted panel is solid diecast with painted labels. The lighted panel is also diecast, but has plastic light pipe inserts with molded labels. Pictures of the lighting for the panel can be found at http://vranedom.com/heaterbox/heaterbox.html

Some of the earlier e9's have a light in the steering column on the right hand side that points in the general direction of the center console. Not very effective. There is small opening where the light is reflected out.

Sven,
I always thought that was to illuminate the ignition switch because on a RHD car the ignition switch, and the light is on the right hand side of the column and thus only illuminates the door!

Silly thing is that it comes on with the interior light on, so if you get in the car and shut the doors it goes off so you can' see it anyway! I am thinking of making a "delay" circuit so it stays on either for 60 seconds or the engine is started and running, which ever comes first.
Malc

Light nearby ignition switch

It's odd to me that the above referenced light is on when the interior light is actuated by an open door--try putting the interior light switch in the neutral positiion--and check again--still on--likely someone has been screwing around with the wiring as--

In my experience I have never seen the circuits being related--at least I've never observed this in a North American spec E-9. It should/will however come on at the first detent of the headlight switch, the so-called park position--at least that has been consistent with un-molested E-9's that I have been around--

Of course It does seem that un-molested--aka--virgin E-9's are getting rarer and rarer--eehhh laddies

Ah but I suspect E9's like to be molested, but only in the nicest way!

My daily hack, a 1990 Saab 900 LPT has the same sort of deal. The gnition switch between the seats is illuminated only if the doors are ajar, or the interior light is turned on, which to me is kind of daft as you get in, keys in hand, shut the door and start the car, so an illuminated ignition swtch would be handy, especially as the nights are drawing in in Scotland! :wink:
Malc

Malc,

The light on the steering column on my CS comes on only with the head light switch - park or full on. It is not affect by the door switches. (1972 CS).

Back