Hello from Adelaide, Australia.

mvg

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new to this site and am very happy to join up. I have been living in Adelaide, Australia now since 1996, but originally came from both Canada and Germany (moving back and forth while I was young). The very first sports car I can remember being excited about is a BMW 2000, and now I have one. I have always loved classic cars, but was always scared to buy one until about 4 years ago when I bought an Australian delivered 1986 BMW 635 CSi. I originally wanted an E9 or a 2000, but to be honest, the stories of rust I read about on this site scared my off, so I bought the E24. The bigcoupe.com site has been a saviour for me fixing the car up, and keeping it running. I am sure this site will now help me for keeping my 2000 going. It is a 1968 BMW 2000 CA, and is also Australian delivered. I have heard a rumour that there were only 12 sold new in Australia (no idea if that is true). Many might say the E9 is classically more handsome, but I personally think you can't beat the 2000 for style (quirky maybe, but it absolutely oozes style).

The car is in great condition, with the previous owner starting a full restoration before deciding to buy a Daimler Dart (even quirkier, but his all time favourite). There are still a few things left to do, but not much in the scheme of things (putting windows back in tracks properly, fixing door latches, making a proper mount for the wing mirror, fixing windshield wiper motor, replacing engine mount, control arm bushes, boots for shocks, new carpets, cleaning headliner, putting on another coat of underseal, maybe rechroming the bumpers and a few interior pieces, and deciding what to do about the carbs). The previous owner switched from the single carb to the twin carbs, so now the carbs have no choke, and I am also told this has created a vacuum problem. So I have to decide about going back to the single carb, or install a vacuum pump, and a manual choke. All in all, pretty minor stuf, and I am sure I will get lots of help and advice from people at this site.

I have attached a few pictures of my 2000 (with my everyday driver E39 in the back of a few of them). My E24 will now unfortunately be up for sale since I only have a 2 car garage.

I look forward to hearing from anyone, especially anyone else with a 2000, and especially any other Aussies with a 2000.

Mike G.

small_1.JPG

small_2.JPG

small_4.JPG

small_5.JPG

small_6.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice looking Coupe. Your list of a few things would take me years at my current rate of progress on my Coupe.

duane_sword

Reaction score
fellow Aussie, in the other hemisphere

G'day Mike

Thanks for sharing your photos of the fine 2000CS you have down-under. I am born and bred an Aussie myself, but moved to the USA over 10years ago. Originally I am from Melbourne and managed to get to Adelaide 5 or 6 times due to the fact Adelaide previously hosted the Formula One Grand Prix prior to Melbourne inheriting it.

It must be hard and expen$ive to source parts for your CS down in Adelaide?

cheers

Duane in Boston