Hello from Belgium

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Hi, i'm Barry and very glad i found this amazing site ! Very helpfull info for restoring my second '70 E9.
I bought one (red) in 2014 for regularity rallys, so that car is changed alot meanwhile to "rally" specs...
Now i bought a second one ( blue) for OEM restoration.

Both are CS2800 but the rally car has a 3.5 engine . Even a brand new one !... yes, i bought that engine from a retired tech school teacher who had this engine on display for all those years..... it had the factory stickers still on top.

I started on the blue one to find ... alot of rust...floorpans and rear frame bolts .... :( So we need welding ....

blauw8.jpg

BWC2017.jpg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welkom indeed.

Two questions about your photos:
The blue one has what appears to be strangely placed US side reflectors. Did it spend some time here after being federalized?

The red one seems to be driven at a good rate of speed as shown by the opposite lock. Roll cage and everything indicates that it is prepped for speed. But neither driver or co-driver are wearing helmets?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Barry.

Good luck on the restoration and please keep us posted about the next rally event. I sure would like to see your E9 in action. Not many E9 driving rally's nowadays.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes Bo , i bought the blue one recently in a auction of Gallery Aaldering in the Nederlands ( Holland) . They imported the car from the US in 2015 . I suspect it is a euro car ( speedo in km ) , but it was a long time in the US . The SF,CA owner bought it in 2000 from a woman in Oakland.... there is few documentation , only more 2 invoices from Vanguard Motors SF 2001 and Action Auto Care SF in 2003. Pitty of the side reflectors... big holes !
Condition is "good" except the floor pans need welding. I have seen worse....
Engine is probably overhauled... clean outside and inside as "new".... no oil residues in the head.... runs perfect but i couldn't test drive it , the brakes were sticking ... need to restore the calipers/drums. It was sitting there now for 3 years in Holland , not yet registered here. I do it all myself, it's my hobby.

The red one is a great pleasure to drive . In the '80s i did rally with a 2002ti .... now we do regularity rallys , more focused on navigation skills and we must drive average speeds... so in fact no more real "racing". Indeed no helmets . Less stress and above all, less expensive..... but one needs a skilled copilot/navigator. Think we have +/- 20 rallys done so far.
Many drive old rallycars , i upgraded mine to rally specs. Roll cage, suspension ,brakes,LSD,dog leg, prepped engine , seats , steering, pedal box etc... real fun to drive ... The car has always alot of interest , many found it beautifull , a welcome change among alot of Porsche 911...
RDV20173.JPG
sezoens1.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Hallo Philippe ... from Belgium :)
Regularity rallys can be very disappointing for visitors, as the roads are secret , even we get our roadbook just at the start of each leg.... Best chance are the "Ronde door Vlaanderen" and the " Belgian Westhoek Classic" ...they give in advance some spectator points/time were you can see the cars passing by. But then again, it's not real rally , we don't drive 200 km/h .... yes, some sideways fun, sure on gravel roads , but no extreme speed...

Philippe db

Reaction score
Thanks Barry. I'll keep the above rally's in mind and see if I can make it. Won't have trouble finding you and the E9.

Thought I recognized the blue one. If I'm not mistaken Aaldering had 2 or 3 on offer in his stock clearance sale. The car looks stunning from the outside but as we all know a new paint job easily hides a lot of problems on these cars.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Indeed Philippe, Aaldering had 3 E9 on offer in stock clearance auction. I bought the cheapest one for 21K , the others went 25 and one near 50 ! I hope for the buyer the 50K one is in mint condition .....
In the gallery was a nice E9 for sale at 45K... but a automatic. Not my favorite ....i prefer sticks.
Now for rally i don't need expensive garage queens.... road worthy body and good mechanics is enough.
Today i did some work on the blue .... i removed all non OEM electric wires and relays with the aftermarket airhorn , fog lamps etc.. it was done "good" but all non OEM stuff i want to install myself so i know what&were. Also headlights are US , so i already bought a europ set ( with the E marking )

Look , Santa was here ! :)

SAM_2308.JPG
SAM_2316.JPG

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love the intake tubes / air box concept! I've been pondering this for a while - your setup confirms the concept and provides great inspiration.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
thanks Stephen ! meanwhile i have the brake masters inside on a pedalbox and the throttle cables from below , they just pull now instead of that complex Weber setup.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Barry,

Cool cars. I also noticed that you are running a ford EDIs style coil pack. I you running wasted spark via megasquirt or megajolt?

I’m working on a MSII wasted spark setup via a microsquirt box. I’m going to try to run a wasted spark COP setup but my fallback is a coil pack like yours. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of folks running distributorless with triples. I’m wondering how you like the setup. Did you tune the ignition first then add the triples or start with standard ignition while setting up the triples? I know you can do it all at once but that sounds like a nightmare to me. My plan is to start with the MS ignition on my down drafts then add the triples.

Last tech question. It looks like you didn’t deadhead your fuel setup. Does that return line go to a bypass FPR? I am considering this setup but most people seem to use a blocking regulator with lines that deadhead at carb #1 (last carb that gets fuel).

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Hello Markos ,
the ignition setup was done by a prof rallycar garage , so sorry , i can't answer your question. But i can ask, i go almost every week over there. Car runs great , so i assume it's OK !:) Ofcourse it has the thooted crankshaftwheel , it's a '86 engine ... one of the latest as in 6 or 7 series ??
On the fuel line there's no return. It stops at the last carb.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Markos ,
the ignition setup was done by a prof rallycar garage , so sorry , i can't answer your question. But i can ask, i go almost every week over there. Car runs great , so i assume it's OK !:) Ofcourse it has the thooted crankshaftwheel , it's a '86 engine ... one of the latest as in 6 or 7 series ??
On the fuel line there's no return. It stops at the last carb.

I see now that the fuel line is running front to back. It is the opposite of most setups so it looked like a return line. Thanks for offering to check in with the race shop. I’ll be working on my setup on my bench for the next couple of months so no rush. I’ll be using a 60-2 wheel from a B35.​