Hello from Calgary 2280296 2800CS

E30_Doc

Reaction score
Thought I should introduce myself as I have been on the forum for a while, but only recently getting into the swing of things.

I had been looking for an e9 for a couple of years but everything seemed to get in the way until I was presented with an opportunity to purchase one in Florida last Spring. I ended up snagging a real craigslist find (deal) and ended up getting it shipped up to Canada (not such a deal). It has sat in my garage while I prepare it to be driven.

Some vital stats
2280296 born May 20 1970, titled as 1971 (Title from 1984 from Michigan was all the documentation I received with the car)
Paint code 040 - Nauchtblau (repainted at some point but it looks correct)
Interior - Tan

Plans - get interior sorted out (It's a little crispy from the Florida sun), get AC working, replace some of the dry rotted window seals, send wood off to bella to be refinished, new coco mats, install 38cm Petri, drive on nice sunny summer days.

I also need to drill and install a side mirror for local compliance, where is the most correct location to put this? I was thinking to go with a trapezoid mirror but recently found maybe a talbot mirror is more correct. Some expert advice on this would be helpful.

It lives along with my 1969 2002 (Nevada on tobacco) and my 1989 325ix with S54 swap.

Tom
IMG_20190620_153110.jpg

Don't worry, the car has since been cleaned, covered and the new grills, etc. are either installed or on their way.
IMG_20190620_151755.jpg

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome!

It looks like the coupe (on left below) that Creative Workshops in Ft. Lauderdale sold for a snow bird customer. If so, that was a VERY good deal.

IMG_7164.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome. I would install Trap mirrors, all US coupes had them, and the Talbot is much harder to see from. Someone here can give you the mirror location and it is in the factory Blue Books. From our old Registry, this coupe was in Michigan in 2012 and was Alpineweiss. Also, look for the EPA/DOT sticker in front of windshield area, left or right side, it will have Fed compliance and model year.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
great welcome to a coupe and an 02 owner. we look forward to hearing about what you do to return this coupe to full glory.

E30_Doc

Reaction score
Welcome!

It looks like the coupe (on left below) that Creative Workshops in Ft. Lauderdale sold for a snow bird customer. If so, that was a VERY good deal.

View attachment 87037

That's it!

Yep I'm pretty pleased with it! Paint was better than I expected and seems structurally solid, interior is a mess and the painted black trim had to go. I have neglected it since I bought it as I was working on my s54 swap (on my AWD e30) but now that that is running and the snow is melting, I will switch my attention to the e9.

E30_Doc

Reaction score
Welcome. I would install Trap mirrors, all US coupes had them, and the Talbot is much harder to see from. Someone here can give you the mirror location and it is in the factory Blue Books. From our old Registry, this coupe was in Michigan in 2012 and was Alpineweiss. Also, look for the EPA/DOT sticker in front of windshield area, left or right side, it will have Fed compliance and model year.
I got measurements for euro positioning from a local euro 3.0cs owner so I might use that as I hear that it is more useful than North American placement. For those following along here are the measurements I have.

Screenshot_20200224-155139.png

Screenshot_20200224-155130.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you are tall and have your seat farther back like I do you might like it more in the US position as the trap is still a fairly small mirror.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's something i should have done before the painting started ... move my mirror forward. here is the follow up question. what are the dimensions for the passenger side on the euro car? same place?

E30_Doc

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does the repaint look like Baikal, 042? BTW always a great sign when a garage photo includes bikes and skis! ;)

I thought that too, but looking at nauchtblue mettalic it is very very similar to Baikal blue.
Here is a pic from a German site
nachtblau.jpg

And this is a link to coupe king restoration in nauchtblue.

I have seen the very dark version of this, but wonder if that is color code 453.

Anyone with insite into this, I have not found a concert photo of original nauchtblue.

Thanks

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nachtblau Code 040
I’ve ‘borrowed’ these pics from the German forum. @Drew Gregg car looks very close to the nachtblau (nightblue) color me thinks!

B0227B7B-3F83-4016-BD27-78E33D1476DB.jpeg
2B47132D-F32B-4FB3-9D69-5DD20B39DBEE.jpeg
24AFAE07-0CB8-487C-BB44-3E9F22FEC8AF.jpeg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tom--My 3.0CS is parked next to your car when it was sold to you via "The Creative Workshop" in Dania, Fla. I bought my car after it did not meet the reserve in a BAT auction in Nov.2018. It was painted close to Nachblau metallic after starting out as Tundra green. I had it shipped to me from Maui,Hawaii. Your car's paint was kind of weathered when next to mine. It now looks much better. Here's the story of how your car ended up at one of the premier restoration shops in the USA. The owner had your car painted a few years ago in Indiana at a body shop that was supposed to also restore it enough to be a summer driver. The shop went out of business and the owner had to move it. He must have a winter home here in south Florida and had it shipped to Creative Workshop. They got the car running. Then the owner must have not had a budget to get things sorted to make it a Florida winter driver. He asked Creative to sell it on Craigs List. That's when the bidding wars started! Their phone rang off the hook! Of course, you made the first accepted offer,but buyers were coming into the shop with cash offers and some of them thought MY car was the one for sale!! They wanted your car since it looks like there's no rust. You made a wise purchase and I'm sure with the help of fellow Forum members, your Coupe will be a long term winner.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 135

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Tom.
Sounds like you've had a great start.
The restoration virus is worse than COVID-19, and Canadians are not immune.

You lucky Albertans don't need front license plates that ruin a car's appearance.
The 2002's front plate is cool though.

I shall follow with interest.
Paul