Hello from New York

NewYorkBeemer

Reaction score
Hello All,

A few months ago I bought a 1972 3.0cs currently painted ~5 different shades of black (I will add the car to the CS registry soon). 4 speed car with original motor and trans, with AC and black vinyl seats. It looks like the car was originally verona.

From reading through the forums I have noticed relatively few owners in the NY/NJ area. For those that do/did live around here, could you please offer suggestions on good mechanics/shops who work on classic BMWs in or around central NJ (this is where the car is located).

So far I have replaced the entire exhaust system, fixed a power steering fluid leak and repaired the power windows. I have a friend lined up to help out with rust work (floor pan replacement and rocker patching) and full respray (thinking malaga or dark blue) but I want to sort out a few mechanical issues first.

I recently drove the car and turned on the heater for the time. Soon after I slid the temperature selector toward hot, I saw some white steam/smoke coming from the vents under the windows. It smelled like exhaust and I pulled over and shut off the heater. Since then I have noticed an intermittent smell of exhaust in the cabin, even when the temperature selector is fully toward cold (which it has been since the incident). Not sure if this is oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold, something coming from the heater core, or some other cause. If someone has experienced this and can advise, please let me know.

The other mechanical issue I am having relates to the power steering - when I park the car with the wheels not fully straight, sometimes it is harder to start than when they straight. I assume this is from additional resistance that the power steering pump is placing on the engine. Also assuming that this not normal - does anyone know what might solve this? I previously had a power steering fluid leak so i replaced all 3 hoses and refilled the system. The assist works fine but is noisy at slow speed.

Issues aside, I look forward to creating a post with my car's progress and will add it to the registry. Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

Mike

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Mike.

On your heater issue, I wonder if there are two things going on: one, you have a coolant leak in the heater core, two, either the head gasket is blown and you are getting exhaust gases mixed into the coolant or you have a poor seal of the enclosure behind the firewall where outside air comes into the fan housing. (missing gaskets, holes, etc). The exhaust gaskets or pipes in the engine bay may be leaking/failing. Do you notice the smell if you just have the vent open (lower right control) and heater off? The air is brought in from the area just behind the firewall.

Any photos of the car?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
welcome
you have a PM
i agree on what sven says
if you have a normal runing condition engine, with a correct temp, and nothing strange on the exhaust, then the problem is probably in the forty year old heater,...

gregthall

Reaction score
Mike

I live in central jersey and I just bought a '71 2800cs. There is a garage in Tewksbury NJ that seems to specialize in anything BMW and other exotics new and old. (Bentlys, Maserati ) the garage is nothing to look at but due to the surrounding wealth the clientele have nice stuff. I have seen your basic 3 series to a bently there. If you are anywhere near you may stop by. I almost did before I bought mine to ask some questions, but never did. I have googled and searched but I cannot come up with a name of the garage. I pass the damn place everyday on my way to work but never have noticed a sign or anything -- just the cars out front. Not sure where you are but if you are close to Bridgewater you're not too far--And i can tell you right where it is.

Greg

gregthall

Reaction score
Oldwick Village Garage - http://ovgnj.com/

"Message from David Graham As the owner, I personally have been repairing German vehicles since 1965. Our goal is simple. To ensure you are completely and 100% satisfied. We're not the biggest, just the best! Oldwick Village Garage services Mercedes Benz, Bmw, Porsche, Land Rover, Audi, VW, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and Exotics "

Finally saw the name on my way into work today....