Hello from New Zealand

CSi30

Reaction score
Hello, I have had a few BMW throughout the years, my first was E28 M535i, currently I have an '83 E23 735i which eventually will get restored.
More importantly I have been offered a 10/73 3.0CSi which I don't think I can or should say no too. I've checked with BMW Archive, it was originally Turkis Green, sadly now resale red. I want to restore it back to Turkis and bin the vinyl roof, the owner has the original 3.0 block (matching numbers) - currently it has a 3.5 in it with a 5 speed. In terms of rust the front jacking points need replacing which I know is indicative of further and likely major amounts of ... er um, lets say fun.

Thanks Neil.

Attachments

• CSI30.4.jpg
    CSI30.4.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 158
  • CSI30.6.jpg
    CSI30.6.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 163
  • CSI30.jpg
    CSI30.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 163

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome!

Looks like a good starting point for a restoration, the rust is always the biggest problem as you know, if possible you should take an endoscope camera and look
inside the rockers (inspection holes under the mat on the inside of the rockers) + front "framerails" (inspection hole under the front floormat) and the A-pillars if you can reach them. You should also check out the inner fenders with your phone camera, like this:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/e9-inner-fender-rust-inspection-video.32594/

Removing the black (metal) rocker covers with the chrome-strip would also give you a better understanding of how the actual rockers look like.
Also take a close look around the rear subframe mounts, and maybe remove the rear seats to see the upper side of these mounts.
Another common place for rust is behind the fusebox door under the steering wheel, look up towards the lower A-pillar, same thing on the other side, open glovebox and look up towards the lower A-pillar.
These cars can rust anywhere, so a close inspection of every bit of the car is important if you want to know what you're buying, having someone who has experience with e9 do a PPI is a smart move if it's possible.

But, from the photos it sure looks pretty good!

Last edited:

CSi30

Reaction score
Great, thank you for the information. I'll post the pictures once I've had the inspection done.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Neil , great advice by Gransin again !!!

Car looks ok from the outside , drive it around this summer and enjoy it and work on it over the winter