Hello from Ohio

Ohio Jon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi E9 forums members
First I want to thank everyone for the great information posted here. It’s been very useful in my search of a E9 project. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
In the past year I purchased a 2800csa (2280405) to resto-mod. I’ll be stripping it down and rebuilding from the ground up with the S38 from a 1988 M5. I have already purchased the M5 and another 2800cs for parts for the build. Besides accumulating parts, I plan on starting this spring on the project once my current projects are on the road. This winter I rebuilt a wrecked 1974 R60 and my son and I are rebuilding a E30 for his 1<SUP>st</SUP> car. Hopefully now he can help me with my project!:smile:

The parts car is pretty rough, but its car 2270002. According to the E9 registry its the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> manual trans USA coupe. What is confusing is that cars number 11 and 12 in the registry are listed as built in September 1969. According to the door tag and the response from BMW, 2270002 was built in December 1969. I assume BMW did not assign VIN numbers sequentially. Can anyone confirm this? <O:p</O:p
I have also notice several differences between the two cars such as lights, seat and sunroof mechanisms. Does anyone have any information of changes that occurred over the production run of these cars?<O:p</O:p
Thanks<O:p</O:p
Jon<O:p</O:p

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jon,

Very cool. Enter your coupe in our registry, the CSA is listed as Seen in Ad, enter yours as Driven. If any issues let me know and I will fix. Also enter the parts car. Ignore door decal, not always accurate, but they weren't built in numerical order although usually they occur in the same month at least. Andreas can give you the accurate build date, his contact info is on the Registry page.

[email protected]

Chris

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have 2270003 and my build date was reported as 11/10/69 and was delivered to a dealer in Austria before being shipped over in Jan '70. Mine will hopefully soon be back on the road but I've taken a bunch of pictures should you ever need to compare something on the parts car with a similar build.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
When I sent for the production date of 2270012 BMW replied-"BMW 2800 C US # 2270012 was manufactured on September 26, 1969 and delivered on Sept. 26, 1969 to the BMW importer in New York City."

I asked how it could be built and delivered on the same day and they replied-"Knowing this discrepancies for a lot of other cars too, we belive that the noted date of delivery is the date when the car left the storage facilities and went on the transport, not the date it arrived in the US."

So...I'm no expert but take the dates with a grain of salt.

Does 2270002 still have the all red rear lenses? I've read those were used on the first 50 or the US 2800CS's, and I've read the "early" seats are different but mine had been recovered so I'm not sure what the differences are.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My car does have all red lenses. Never noticed that detail before. Hopefully that means no rear-side repairs.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 189

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The early seats don't have the aluminum trim on the back rests. 2270001 was also a Nov/Dec car but all of the others I have documented are almost consecutive. Those out of sequence are still within the same month. I think 0001 and 0002 were held onto longer by BMW perhaps for show purposes?

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
When I got the car I had red on the right and orange on the left....and evidence of a small hit to the left rear!

I found a 2000CS all red lens with pitted chrome and cut the turn signal section out and put it on the left side. All better.

Ohio Jon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is some more info on 2270002.
Yes it has red turn signals lenses and no addition marker light on the front fenders. There is no chrome trim on the seats and the seat release lever is at the pivot point of the seat. <O:p
It has manual front windows and power rears. There are places for four window switches, but two are blanks. <O:p
<O:p
I emailed BMW and here is the response 2270002.<O:p
The BMW 2800 CS US VIN 2270002 was manufactured on December 4<SUP>th</SUP>, 1969 and delivered on December 16<SUP>th</SUP>, 1969 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Nachtblau metallic (Night Blue), paint code 040.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
We hope this information is helpful for you.<O:p></O:p>
Yours sincerely,<O:p></O:p>
Christina Hartung<O:p></O:p>
BMW Group Archiv<O:p></O:p>
BMW says Nachtblau and the paint code decal on the car says Pacific. Paperwork with the car documents the mileage of under 35k to be accurate. Unfortunately, 2270002 was part of the Coupe Death Camp find in Cincinnati. It looks like it was a decent car when parked in 1980 but the poor conditions took its toll.<O:p
See http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,377461/highlight,2800cs/ <O:p
for an interested barn find story. Warning – as a car guy it may be hard to look at. <O:p

Attachments

• owners man.jpg
    owners man.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 184
  • own man 2.jpg
    own man 2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Ohio Jon

Site Donor
Reaction score
more pictures

Attachments

• VIN tag.jpg
    VIN tag.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 202
  • door jam.jpg
    door jam.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 194
  • switch blanks.jpg
    switch blanks.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 216

Das Echte

Reaction score
Where in OH? I'm in Rocky River up north.

Also, there's great info on Wikipedia. Shows detailed production data etc.

Basically it directly led me to get a 635i from 1989 their best and last year.

I'm getting my CS back on the road since storage from 3/95.

Tom

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Hello Jon,

Nice to know that there are other buckeye CS owners in the area.

Shocking to see the condition of all those cars down in Cinci.
Happy to see that the 2800CS made it up here, even if it is only
a parts car.

What does your 2800CSA look like?

Pete

Ohio Jon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Its solid, but looks bad. Its Baikel and the paint is pealing down to the medal. The PO used a can of tan spray paint to cover the bare metal.
It was parked in a MI Barn in 1998 until 2012 when I got it.

Its got a goofy history that I have no documentation on(unlike 2270002).
I was told it was brought back from California by the daughter of the guy who's name it on the title and parked in his barn in 1998. Not idea where she got. He was a muscle car guy and had no interst in it. Last year his health was failing and a friend was helping him sell off the collection of cars he had accumilated. He was going to send the CS to the scrapper, but his buddy (the only person I ever spoke to) talked him into trying to sell it. Lucky for me and the car.
It was listed on Barnfinds.com last year . It was sold on Ebay, but the winning bidder from Texas never completed the auction. After 10 months he relisted it and I bought it.

Everything seems sound, but I'm sure once its media blasted there will be more work than I think. There aways is...

Last edited:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Howdy

Welcome to the group Jon. Its funny, that I thought that Jason (Cinncinati) was going to part out #..002 to make some money on his find, so I never followed up about buying the whole carcass...good for you! Might be more solid in alot of aspects than alot of e9's on the road...
Dave V. in NC

Ohio Jon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jason was planning on parting it out, but it was easier to sell the whole car. He said he's going to be parting out the 2000s and the 3.0s unless some makes him an offer.