Hello from the Bay Area

Hussar13

Reaction score
<style>*<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Times New Roman"; panose-1:0 2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:50331648 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-parent:""; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Hello all, I’m the mechanic for my father-in-law’s 1973 3.0 CS that he’s had for 30 years and has been sitting for the last 5 years due to an engine failure.

He’s excited to get the repair/restoration process going so the car will be road worthy once again. I’m also hoping that we may find out some more information about the car’s first ten years of life as we go through the rebuild process and discuss on the forum.

Once we start digging in to the car, I’ll be sure to post details and pics.

For now, the car is VIN#2250586 - 1973 3.0 CS, 4 spd manual, Polaris paint that is a European (or at least non-US) model with at least 280,000 km on the odometer. My father-in-law kept great track of the odometer in a log book, so we know he’s turned the odometer twice.

I look forward to discussing the car, gathering advice, and posting the work as we progress.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your VIN is a US/NA VIN and was an automatic. Could have been delivered in Europe though, does it have AC, leather, etc?

Hussar13

Reaction score
Your VIN is a US/NA VIN and was an automatic. Could have been delivered in Europe though, does it have AC, leather, etc?
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the start to unraveling the mystery for me.

To answer your questions, it has A/C, leather (very worn), power sunroof and windows.

The car was also in an accident in the first ten years of its life ('73-'83), but I have no information from that time period. Apparently the front end damage was fixed by a top notch mechanic as the tell tale signs weren't discovered until the floor pans were replaced (rusting out) in the early 1990s.

The speedo and odo are all kms only. Could the car be Canadian or did they all come kms only?

Is there a way to get the original listing of the car's features?

I'm just learning classic BMWs, so I apologize if I'm stalled in the fast lane. All this new info will help us decide how to rebuild the car and how "original" to keep it. Thanks again for your help.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
CA has a smog check history website and your coupe Passed in Oct 1996, the last year testing was required, but they don't provide the city anymore. Does it still have a Blue Plate? Most Canadian cars didn't have leather or A/C but anything is possible. Send an e-mail to Andreas as Steve pointed out and he can tell you if delivered through Hoffman in NY or to Canada or to a European dealer first, be sure to ask him though. They don't have a history on options and such.

And add your VIN to our Registry!