Hello & where can I get a vacuum unit

ChrisB

Reaction score
Hello all, new to group and just become the proud owner of a 72 CSL. Only had it a couple of weeks and it’s been running increasingly rough at low rpm since I got it. Just found the vacuum fitting pretty much corroded off which I think is quite probably the issue. Still finding my feet with suppliers etc. can anyone advise where to get a new unit please. Many thanks. Chris.

Attachments

• 775142ed-eaac-4ff5-b795-a793a03de918.jpeg
    775142ed-eaac-4ff5-b795-a793a03de918.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 70
Hi Chris. Congratulatins on buying a very cool car and welcome.

If you are in Cambridge, MA, you probably should become acquainted with Mario and Chris Langston at Vintage Sports and Restoration in New Hampshire. Mario restored a CSL for a friend of mine (who is no longer with us), that I saw when he showed it in California and won second place at the Quail. If you are in the UK, never mind.

Good luck with the parts search.

Is the vacuum part unique to the CSL, or common to the 2800 and CS? If its a CS part, I may have one.

Csi or l

And 3.0 Djet e3 cars

It’s vacuum retard only

Unavailable new I think

Used yes.
Or just block the line

12111355627​

Hello all, new to group and just become the proud owner of a 72 CSL. Only had it a couple of weeks and it’s been running increasingly rough at low rpm since I got it. Just found the vacuum fitting pretty much corroded off which I think is quite probably the issue. Still finding my feet with suppliers etc. can anyone advise where to get a new unit please. Many thanks. Chris.
Rough at low rpm is not likely to be the vacuum lung
the part looks pretty bichromed and awfully welded
but I think is notthe issue here
that is advance I think not retard
yes simple effect
the distrib looks odd to me
is that a carb or injected engine ?

Start off by plugging off the vac line and see what happens. The vacuum pot on the distributor won't know the difference, but your engine will appreciate not sucking in air where it doesn't expect any.

From there - The story on distributors on these cars is a long tale. Hard to know if it is the original one or changed out later in life. There should be Bosch numbers stamped on the side of it .... that would help to know what it is and what parts (if any) are still available.
FYI - The Bosch part numbers format is "# ### ### ###" -
BMW format is "## ## # ### ###"

The Bosch number for a distributor is something like 0 231 306 001 whereas the BMW one would be (for example) 12 11 1 361 236

Good luck....

If you need a vacuum can it can only come from a Djet distributor.

The ridge on the distributor body doesn't ring any bells, but clockwise distributor and clockwise pull from the pod would mean vacuum retard.

Glad to see you found your way onto here from FB :) @sfdon is your friend for these sorts of issues... He did a house call to Australia for me few weeks back :D Not seen the bill for that yet...

Rough at low rpm is not likely to be the vacuum lung
the part looks pretty bichromed and awfully welded
but I think is notthe issue here
that is advance I think not retard
yes simple effect
the distrib looks odd to me
is that a carb or injected engine ?
The hose fitting had corroded off due to the bad plating, I think plating acid was left inside the unit. It’s pretty awful and needs replacing but I’ve managed to effect a temporary repair so it all works. Still runs crap though.

Glad to see you found your way onto here from FB :) @sfdon is your friend for these sorts of issues... He did a house call to Australia for me few weeks back :D Not seen the bill for that yet...
Wish he was more local, think a house call would be out my budget

My shop does have an e9 forum lending library - borrower pays postage.

MPS
TPS
ecu
Trigger points

Trigger points are located inside the distributor- not under cap.
Don‘t forget them.

I’m in Europe every few months, United connects through Heathrow.

My shop does have an e9 forum lending library - borrower pays postage.

MPS
TPS
ecu
Trigger points

Trigger points are located inside the distributor- not under cap.
Don‘t forget them.

I’m in Europe every few months, United connects through Heathrow.
Don give me a shout next time you're landing will head out for dinner

Back